2 years later!

• 2 replies
  • 37 subscribers

I realised today that it is actually two years since I went for my first radiotherapy and here I am feeling pretty good, as well as extremely grateful for our wonderful NHS and to all the people who contribute to this forum.   I had 28 days of Capecitabine tablets and radiotherapy.

I was diagnosed in March 2017 after several visits to the GP for a good few months and totally devastated to learn that the 'piles' I thought I had were in fact anal cancer, something I had never heard of.

I tried to be positive and was determined to fight it, I think I got through the treatment better than lots I have read about.   I had considerable soreness which seemed to last forever and I admit is only just disappearing.   My MRI results have been good, the next and possibly last one will be in September.   I have a lovely Consultant who I cannot speak too highly of.   It makes such a difference.

I was a young 72 when I started treatment and now sometimes feel an old 74!   However over the past couple of months I have felt more 'me' and try to keep positive and active.

Good luck to all of you out there, particularly if you are just starting on your journey.   I'm proof it can be doneGrinGrinGrin

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

Great to hear from you again and congrats on your two year milestone! This is just what I need to hear when I have a 3 month check-up looming!

Its a long old recovery isn’t it and the experience changes you. I think its changed me for the better. Whilst I wish it had never happened to me, lots of good things have come out of it as a result.

Keep updating us on your milestones, they give the people behind you hope.

Sx

• Thanks a lot and good luck for your scan.   You are doing a great job with your advice!