Day 11

• 8 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Hi folks, not been on since I started treatment so just wanted to say Hi and give an update.

Week 1 inpatient week went not too bad. The nurses etc were all so lovely and attentive and answered any queries I had. I kept setting the alarm off on my chemo pump as I was sleeping and lying on it but they soon got used to me lol. Trying to manoeuvre it around the hospital to go for walks etc was a laugh and a half bumping into everything and getting it stuck on the gap at the lift door! My roommate's were all great too and we really got each other through the week. Was so glad to get home on the Friday though!

Last week went not too bad with the daily radio trips and then the weekend came .... boom! Temperature down to 35.2, hellish cramps & diarrhoea. Phoned the red card number and was advised to go straight up to hospital yesterday. So spent 6 hours up there on a canula drip, bloods, x-rays etc. White blood cells were low but nothing major thankfully. Sent home again with buscopan and fibrogel. 

And now we're onto week 3 - back up again this morning for my radiotherapy and a quick check at clinic. Burning has started, I'm itching like hell - any tips, thinking Piriton maybe?? Got my creams to put on twice daily which is keeping me nice & soft lol. 

Hope you're all doing well. I'll get a catch-up on your posts shortly.

Claire Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

Nice to hear from you, almost half way through now, well done!

I’m pleased for you that the chemo is out of the way for the time being. 

From what you’re describing, sounds like the usual side effects are creeping in. Its normal for the bowel to be affected and for things to get very loose, frequent and urgent. The itching/stinging is normal as well and I sympathise as its very uncomfortable and an area that you don’t really what to be touching or rubbing. Piriton definitely helps and you an take it. My itching was worse at night, so I’d have a soak in an Epsom salt bath and just before bed take one Piriton. If you buy the drowsy brand, it helps you to have a better sleep as well. Every cloud and all that!

All the best with the rest of the week, keep us posted.

Sarah x

• Hi Claire,

As Sarah says, half way through. It’s tough, we’ve all been there and are survivors. I finished my treatment one year ago, it is now a distant dream. It will end, you will get there.

If you are broad minded, check out my blog, blogfromuranus.blogspot.co.uk. It is a bit naughty, but I tried to bring out the humour in all this horrid bottom business. 

All the very best, keep us posted. 

Pam 

Lady Tourelle

• Hi Claire,

Great to hear you’re doing ok, yes I agree with Sarah, I too went with the Epsom or Dead Sea Salt baths & an antihistamine. 

You’re half way already which is great, the side effects will build gradually but it sounds as though you’ve got a handle on things & you’ll cope, as we all have, & it’ll be over before you know it.

Keep in touch & good luck for the rest of your treatment.

Nicola x

• Hi Claire,

Half way there, it will fly in now! I too had the itching but it was mainly at night! I found Piriton to be very effective and the salt baths. I also never wore underwear and let as much air get to that area as possible, plenty of cream also.

Good luck with the rest of your treatment!

Crystal x x x

• Hi guys, sorry not been on since this post.

So tomorrow is Day 21! It has came in fast like you all told me it would. It's my second chemo cycle so in again for inpatient week Mon-Fri. 

Side effects have really just been the red raw soreness and itching. I'm on full strength co-codamol to take 8 a day, and I've been given a bright yellow liquid solution to put on - proflavine solution - Anyone used it?? It dyes everything haha , I've been in some funny positions trying to get it on lol but it definitely helps with the itch, along with piriton. I've been sleeping lots but people are used to me crashing out mid conversation now.

I hope you're all well and those going through treatment now are coping well. I have a great support team at the hospital and I can't thank them enough for everything they do.

So yeah, back to having no wifi in the ward this week but I'll try keep you all updated.

8 days to go, woohoo!!

Lots of thanks n love

Claire Xx

• Hi Claire,

Wow day 21 already, that’s great, you’re nearly at the end now. You seem to be coping really well & it’s great to hear you have a supportive team around you, it really does help doesn’t it? 

Good luck with your final week & look forward to hearing from you through the other side. 

Nicola x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to thecannon79

Great to hear from you

Wow it has gone quick and just over a week to go, well done! You sound in good spirits all things considered.

Hopefully @Yosser has seen your post, he’s just behind you.

Good luck for your inpatient week and we look forward to hearing from you on the other side.

Sarah x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to thecannon79

Hi claire  

I'm day 20. With similar side effects

Rear end is sore. I'm on cocodemol lower strength and its holding off any major discomfort atm.

3 more days this week and then the infamous fifth week.

Good luck.

Ian x