Week 5 post treatment

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 36 subscribers

Hello everyone. I'll be week 5 post treatment tomorrow. I'm not sure if I'm having a delayed response to treatment but I feel worse now than I did during treatment, both physically and emotionally.

Physically, I feel tired and I am aching all over. My hips are stiff and I am wondering whether to order a Zimmer frame. My mind is working overtime, I am convinced the tumour s growing back. I am going to the loo loads and there is 'residue' all the time making me sore and uncomfortable. It's also extremely itchy to the point of torture. 

I saw my GP last week and she is arranging a bone density scan, blood tests and is going to look into whether it would be beneficial to have the HPV vaccine at my age (47)

Got my 6 week check with oncologist next week. I'm guessing not much will happen. 

To those who have been where I am, can you remember if you had the symptoms I have at this stage?

Thank you in advance xxx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

Wow, 5 weeks post treatment how quick has that gone, although you might not feel it.

I will firstly say that everything you are experiencing, physically and emotionally is normal. Remember that the treatment is accumulative and sticks around in your system for up to 12 months. Some side effects are short term, others are long term. I’m afraid that some side effects do linger for quite some time. I’m almost 12 months post treatment and still have side effects. However, don’t let that worry you as I lead a normal life, my side effects don’t in the way. Also we all recover differently.

Its normal to experience any of the the following side effects after treatment: fatigue, bowel urgency/more frequent, stinging when weeing, sore/broken skin, aching hips/legs, leaking from the anus, itching, vaginal stenosis (narrowing).

I noticed the aching about 6-8 weeks after treatment. It started in my knees then moved to the fronts of my thighs. I also noticed that if I sat for long periods, getting up again was difficult. I still ache a lot now 12 months on, I feel like I’ve aged by about 20 years!. My oncologist told me that our bone density reduces from age 40+ anyway and the radiation kinda speeds things up. He advised that I do weight bearing exercise. Everyday I jog, do yoga and I’ve recently started aerobics. It definitely helps but the aching is still there every day. Epsom salt baths definitely eases the aching as well. I’m not sure if the aching will ever go away, my oncologist doesn’t seem to know either. If they are offering you bone scans take them but please be assured, the aching is all normal and might be with you for a while. As for HPV, I’ve heard about older women been vaccinated. Its not something I know a lot about or that my oncologist has ever mentioned. I plan to bring up the subject though at my next appointment. 

I to was very itchy, particularly at night. I was advised to cut my nails very short and take an antihistamine. It was good advise as it  definitely helped. I took an antihistamine every night before I went to bed. 

Emotionally, things are also tough after treatment. You’ve been through a lot in a very short period of time. Diagnosis, tests, scans, waiting, treatment, side effects and now you’re in limbo again whilst you wait to hear how your body has reacted to the treatment. Most hospitals don’t scan until 3 months after treatment as the radiation causes so much inflammation. So during this time, your head will be spinning, its a constant emotional roller coaster. Some days you’ll be feeling strong, some days you won’t give cancer much thought and other days you’ll be dwelling on the ‘what ifs’ and dark thoughts. Its totally normal to think that the tumour is still there, only gone away a little, that the cancer has spread etc etc. We’ve all had these thoughts, I still do sometimes. Its all part of the process I’m afraid. Also, during treatment you had your daily routine and were focused on ticking off the days and just getting through it. It then all comes to an abrupt end and you’re left with your own thoughts. Yet more stuff for your brain to process and adapt to.

My advise would be to keep busy and do lots of things that you enjoy. Also, I promise that as time passes by, any dark thoughts you have will be come less. I had dark thoughts leading up to my scans and even when they told me my tumor had gone, I still had dark thoughts for a number of weeks after as I was in dis-belief. However, 12 months on I don’t really think about the cancer and I only really get anxious in the lead up to appointments. You have to be very patient and give your body and mind, time.

Not much happens at the 6 week check. Its usually just a chat about how you’re feeling, side effects, next steps etc and they’ll look at your skin. If you’re not sore, they may give you an internal (anal) examination. I didn’t have one at this stage as I was far too sore.

I hope this has been of help. Any concerns you have you will be able to discuss them in just a week with your oncologist. In the meantime, treat yourself, its all about self-care now.

Sarah X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Sarah. You are an angel in disguise. You always make me feel tonnes better. Whilst this is a sordid thing to say I am so pleased you have confirmed you had all the same symptoms as myself. I now feel 'normalish' and totally reassured. I really want you to realise how grateful I am for your excellent replies. Thank you xxx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Its my absolute pleasure  this is now my mission, to help and reassure others on this journey. The more we talk and share the more we normalise cancer. It makes me feel happy and useful that you feel better as a result of my message.

The aching really is a pain in the butt (excuse the pun) but its a small price to pay.

I’m sure you’ll hear from others on here. I know my friend,  suffers with the aches as well.

Sarah x