Stoma!!!!!!!

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Hi All

I have T3 N0 M0 rectral cancer, I have been told that after my radiotherapy and chemo that I will have to have a stoma. I am at rock bottom with this. I can not see myself with one of these things. I have only told a four people about this and they are all going on like its no big deal, but it is to me. I can't cope with the thought of having one. I feel all alone although I know I'm not the only one who will have one of them. I am constantly in tears even while writing this. This will affect everything I in my life, I can see myself doing nothing for the rest of my life, not working, not going out, no more holidays, and being on my own. I just cant see past it. Is there anyone can convince me that it isn't all that bad?

Denise

• Hello Denise, and welcome.

I do understand how the enormity of what you’re facing has utterly floored you. I am so sorry, it’s horrible I know, and like you, I told hardly anyone.

But having a stoma is certainly not the end of the world, they are very manageable and liveable with. Holidays are no problems.

Having said that, I don’t  have one, but I lived with a man who had to have one, and he adapted. And there are many on here who have similar, I’m sure they will be along soon to help.

You may want to post this in the bowel cancer and stoma support group too.

Most anal cancers are squamous cell, it’s not a common cancer, a small proportion are adenocarcinoma and the gold standard treatment for this is usually chemoradiation followed by surgery. I had squamous cell treated by just chemoradiation. 

Whichever treatment we have it’s fairly unpleasant, but we do recover and enjoy life again. It’s a new normal, but it’s liveable with.

We are here for you, chin up. I whinged like mad in this group while I was having treatment, it helped enormously to talk to people who understood. 

You’ve made a very positive move in joining the group.

Big Hug

Mary.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Denise

My husband has stage 3 rectal cancer. He finished his treatment,radiotherapy and oral chemo at the end of June. He coped really well,including working full time and still is. Tomorrow,he has an appointment to see the consultant, regarding surgery. Like you,he has been told he will have to have a permanent stoma.  His surgery will be in the next few weeks. He's a 58 year old,who is a caring and loving husband. He has a couple of friends who have had the surgery and they have both given him positive feedback. I know this is life changing and also very scary, but I also know it will save my husbands life. Although it will be a sometimes difficult journey...it's got to be worth it.

Sending love to you xx

Aunt 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Denise

I had an anterior resection and temporary ileostomy July  2017 I saw my surgeon in June this year and although I have been offered a reversal I have opted to keep the stoma at present. In the beginning it is very strange and you will feel alone but the stoma nurses are very good and you soon get used to it. You can do all the things you do now exercise, work go on holiday I was just relieved that the surgery existed as one of my friends said to me better a bag than a box! Although that sounds harsh it is very true. If you need any help or advice please ask the main thing is to keep a sense of humour.  

Good luck 

Lareg

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Lareg

Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner.

Although I am still not really happy about whats going to happen to me, I am slowly coming to terms with it. I have found a stoma group that meet up near where I live, I will be going along to their next meeting to meet people who have stomas. I am hoping this helps me more.

All the very best to you 

Denise

• Hi Denise! 

I have a stoma! 

Called stomy! 

I was in huge trepidation and and I would be lying if I didn’t say it is challenging during treatment however it is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be! 

Keep strong and ask your stoma nurses anything , mine are amazingly helpful. I am still in the position where it controls me but I’m on week 5 of chemoradiotherapy and hope it will calm down once treatment over! 

Any questions just ask! I like pelican bags best as they stick well and are super discreet! 

Take care 

lorna xx 

LC
  • My mum is 84 and is having to have a stoma as cancer in anus is restricting bowel movement and surgeon want to do it in case it gets totally blocked.  She has been told it probably wont be reversible but she is worried how she is going to cope. She has been stuck at home since lockdown and I think having a stoma will worry her about going any where

Julie