Vaginal stenosis

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 26 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Hi, this is something else I’m interested in hearing about from you guys. My consultant has warned me this is a ‘potential’ side effect of the radiotherapy. Did anyone suffer with this, what did you do to ease the symptoms? and is anyone living with any long-term issues in this area? Thanks!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I’ve been given a set of vaginal dilators to use 3 times a week for 5 minutes. I need to do this for 3 years. 

I will start using them once I’m fully healed and comfortable down below. There are 4 sizes, start with the smallest and work your way up.

• Vaginal stenosis is almost a definite side effect of the radiotherapy. If you enjoy active conjugals then the dilators are a must as soon as you can tolerate them. Some of the girls found them a bit offensive so went for the ones from Lovehoney. I had a look at them online, never laughed so much. What an education!

I chose not to use them afterwards as I already had a considerable degree of postmenopausal vaginal atrophy. My husband had an op for bowel cancer in 2003, which also removed his ability to perform. He died in 2011, and I wasn’t planning a rematch, so I let it lapse. So it hasn’t been a problem for me, but I’m aware there is even further shrinkage. I have no issues with bowel or urine control, and I do my pelvic floors!

Hope this helps. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Liddyloo

Thanks for that info. I’m 47 so I’m hoping to still have some kind of sex life although I may go into early menopause which will further complicate things. Are you still able to have smear tests? 

• Oh yes, at 47 you certainly need your sex life! It will certainly provoke the menopause.

Regarding smears, my last one was well before I had treatment and was difficult, but not impossible. Now it would be impossible! I’m now 70, (how did that happen?) so I’m not planning any more and I haven’t been called up. Never had an abnormal smear so I’m not concerned.

• Hi, 

My oncologist has said this will certainly be a side effect of the treatment & also stressed the importance of using the dilators once it’s comfortable to do so. I have a mirena coil in, which I’m really surprised that they didn’t want to remove before treatment begins! but he said obviously it’ll need removing at some point in the future therefore the dilators are a must. Oh the joys eh? I don’t know about you but I’m getting quite anxious about starting now, although on the other hand I just want to get on with it & get it over & done with!

Nicola x

• I put this on my list as something to expect and also bought a set of dilators; however, the stenosis wasn't as severe as expected and GENTLE intercourse after a period of healing was enough. Dilators still unwrapped.

Robin
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Nikki65

Hi N! I also have a merina coil. My consultant said there’s no danger to it being left in during treatment but advised it would be easier to remove it now rather than after treatment, due to possible vaginal narrowing. Only problem is there’s no way I can get an appt between now and next Monday so it’s staying in. I don’t feel that nervous about starting treatment mainly because I’ve had 6 weeks of waiting, worrying, researching, discussing etc. Just want to get started now although I’m sure on Monday I’ll be bricking it. I always feel emotional when I’m in the hospital I suppose being there makes it all the more real X

• I think because I had surgery & with the surgeon achieving clear margins I really didn’t expect to be going down the chemoradiotherapy route & it came as a bit of a shock! but as was explained this is now about preventing a recurrence from any stray cells & giving me the best possible chance of a healthy future! I have my pre treatment assessment with the chemo nurse on Friday so we’ll see what that brings.

Keep in touch 

Nicola x

• Hi

I’m one year post treatment and 51

I was advised to get mirena coil removed before treatment and never to have any more smear tests.  Obviyif I notice signs then to go gp.  Apparently after radiation it will give an ineffective smear test reading.

Despite using dilators and buying a softer more realistic dildo sadly I have not managed full intercourse.  This saddens me greatly.  I mentioned it to my oncologist and she said she can’t feel narrowing or shortening in vagina.  I use replens 3 times per week as I’m so dry and use sylk to use dildo/dilator.  I will keep persevering!  I’m not ready to give up yet!  The good news is though cancer free and enjoying life again and my hair has grown back!

Good luck to you all xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I'm 57 and after treatment had the hot flushes etc due to the menopause. I am now 9 months after treatment and I have vaginal shrinkage. I started off trying with the smallest dilator but even that made me sore with some bleeding. Eventually I got a very small silicone vibrator which is much softer than the dilators, you can get silicone dilators as well.

My gynae said that as I haven't had children and been stretched so to speak I may not be able to have sex again but to keep persevering with the dilation. I don't think I could have an internal without some sort of sedation as it would be too painful. My sex drive has also disappeared. I think it does depend on where the radiation was targeted but it's almost inevitable that you will get dryness and shrinkage due to the treatment and the menopause. It's important to dilate to avoid the build up of scar tissue. Oh the joys!