Fatigue

• 4 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Hello.

I finished treatment in January and was wondering if anyone still experienced fatigue months after treatment ended??

I feel like I've been hit by a bus every day at about 2pm!

• Hello Feather 653

Yes!  I am over two years out from treatment and still suffer from fatigue.  I have mentioned it at my three monthly appointments and also visited my GP.  I have been thoroughly checked over and apart from the treatment, there is no reason why.  I read a blog by an anal cancer sufferer some time ago and the person there said the best thing she did was give in to it.  So she sleeps 9 - 10 hours a night and so do I.  If I don't I look as if I have had a night out on the tiles!

I don't know if you are still working, I am not so that makes a big difference as I am not under any pressure.  I hope you get the opportunity to have rests as you need them, I honestly don't know how people manage to work if they have ongoing fatigue.  I live in hope that things will improve, and do all the things I am supposed to, getting exercise, walking my dog, but so far nothing has made any difference apart from having lots of sleep.

From another tired one!

Irene xx

• Hi I wasn't tired after chemoradiotherapy but the chemo does make me tired especially inthe afternoon so I rest more now and dk plenty of exercise but do wake up every day at 6am so goto bed at 10 

• Wow, 6am?!!!  I struggle to open my eyes at 9.30am - even with a tray of tea beside me! xx

• Hi Feather,

I'm 2 years out and still get run over by the Fatigue Bus regularly.

It gets on my husband's nerves, I know, and it's exasperating for me too. My son and his wife bought a house recently and it needed a TON of work. We all descended upon them and worked like galley slaves. But I had to take frequent breaks, and by mid-afternoon I was done. Just couldn't do one more thing.

I hope my endurance improves. But for now, when it hits, all bets are off. I don't have to go to bed, but I can't do much of anything at all.

I don't honestly how much is a result of the cancer and treatments, how much is being 65 (in a week) and how much can be chalked up to how much muscle and conditioning I've lost over the last few years due to pain and cancer. I work hard to gain a little bit of conditioning, but then it's time for another exam and I'm sidelined with pain for weeks afterwards and am back to the beginning.

It's still good. Way better than having anal cancer.

But it's hard.

Hugs

Suz