Bladder problems before and during treatment

• 6 replies
  • 33 subscribers

Hi everyone , 

did anyone have urine retention before diagnosis , worse with treatment and leakage during the treatment ? 
I have never had this problem before and wondered if it was down to the condition , treatment or both ?

have a peaceful weekend ,

sending love 

Chrissie xx

• Hi  ,

I didn’t notice anything prior to or during treatment but I do think I get some urine retention now especially in the mornings & if I’ve held on longer than I should have to go to the loo, I feel as though I’m possibly not emptying my bladder completely all in one go, it sometimes feels like it takes going a couple of times in quick succession to feel as though my bladder is empty. I’m aware that obviously our whole pelvic area gets some fallout from the radiotherapy & wonder if I’ve a bit of stenosis of my urethra or if my bladder has hardened slightly I’m considering mentioning to my GP. On the other hand it could just be an age thing! 

Nicola 

• Thanks Nicola , 

this condition has been a massive learning curve and once again the forum is like a comfy blanket .. I never thought I would need to resort back to panty liners !!! Joy

have a peaceful weekend , 

loads love and hugs 

Chrissie xx

• Hello Chrissie

I have exactly the same symptoms as Nicola - the days of emptying my bladder in one go seem to be past!  I have to wait and then I pass some more.  I leak a tiny bit each day but I don't think it is urine?  I wear panty liners so it isn't a problem.  If you have urine retention it might well be that everything is swollen and protesting - I would mention it to your treating team.

Best of luck!

Irene xx

• Hi Irene , 

I don’t think it is urine either , although oncologist given me 3 days antibiotics as no bacterial infection in urine , but white cells .. interesting the whole pelvic area is swollen … so it stands to sense we would have this problem .. 

have a peaceful bank holiday 

sending love 

Chrissie xx

• I had a watery discharge throughout treatment and for some time afterwards. I got bad retention during and it was painful to but that cleared up fairly quickly. X

• Thank you feather for sharing that .. I had urine retention a little while before my treatment but didn’t expect I would need panty pads throughout !!! Im on week 3 at moment and it’s a learning curve every day ..

take care 

Chrissie xx