PICC line inserted ahead of Day 1 of treatment Monday 12 Feb

• 4 replies
  • 36 subscribers

Well that was all done and dusted in 30mins. The letter said allow 2 hours for a PICC insertion. I really don’t know why I got myself so anxious about it!

Treatment will be so much easier with this line in and it means I can have my can of chemo attached and administered from home during weeks 1 and 5 of my chemo/radiotherapy treatment

The team at the Norfolk and Norwich hospital are exceptional. I couldn’t wish to be in a better place. I half expected to see King Charles today but maybe he’s having his treatment up the road at Sandringham

Anyway, I simply wanted to post about the PICC line and to say how straight forward it was. I had a local anaesthetic and apart from a little scratch felt nothing. If you’re due to have similar procedure, please don’t get anxious about it.

and I took the chance to pop into the MacMillan drop in booth and have a chat. They even remembered my name from my last visit. I feel so supported. THANK YOU

• That’s great  to hear things were more straightforward & quicker than you were expecting. I think the anxiety comes from fear of the unknown don’t you? I think we typically associate everything connected with cancer treatment to be truly horrendous whereas sometimes it is just a case of ‘oh well that wasn’t too bad!’ 

I’m so pleased also that you feel you’re getting all the support you need, if you have a Maggie Centre close to you I’d suggest trying to drop in there too, they’re amazing places with all kinds of helpful services but also somewhere where you can just drop by, grab a coffee & have a chat with either staff, volunteers or other service users. 

Thank you for this thoughtful post, it’ll help someone facing the same procedure I’m sure. 

P.S., wishing you the very best of luck for the start of your treatment on Monday. 

Nicola 

• Thanks Nicola. This online community also proves so helpful and great as a ‘search’ tool for discussion threads which helps put the mind at ease . Best wishes x

• I am so pleased that it all went well, and even better that you have a really caring team looking after you - it can make the world of difference to your mental wellbeing.

And don't forget we are all here too if you need extra support.  Wishing you well in your treatment.

Irene xx

• Glad today went better than expected and wishing you all the best for a successful treatment plan. 

Andrea