Good news…

• 7 replies
  • 37 subscribers

So I had my 3 month post treatment scan in February (CT chest and abdo) and Pelvic MRI. I waited a bit longer than needed for results a I had kids birthday parties etc to get through.
when I went in for the results - it was amazing news, better than I expected in fact. 
the primary appears to have gone as does the 2 mets on my right side. The 2 lymph nodes near my ureter are also barely visible. There’s also no sign of any new areas - AMAZING….but then he said he wanted to do a Pet scan. Didn’t really give a reason other than the last scan I had back i. Sept was a pet so he said it can be hard to compare. 

after I left I then felt a bit deflated. He told be all areas are barely visible but it’s like he has then said - oh but I’m not sure so gona do another scan. 

i had that scan yesterday and now I’m starting to freak out, I feel like I’ve Been Dangled this little chance and now it’s going to backfire 

he said the outcome of scan would help them decide what to do next. It could be refer for surgery, 3 month surveillance or back to chemo.

im also stressing because if surgery is needed the surgeon who knows me and had agreed to operate if needed is now on long term leave. This means I’d need to be referred to london. I’m in Exeter, Devon. 

im hoping  this won’t be needed but just getting myself stressed about it all. Xxx

• Hi  , firstly that’s excellent news about your CT & MRI results, I’m so pleased that it was such good news. Secondly it’s completely understandable that you’re feeling this way concerning the your consultant wanting the extra reassurance but on the positive side he’s being really thorough & not leaving anything to chance. You’ve not had a very ‘straightforward’ (if there is such a thing) journey through your diagnosis etc., & that must leave you kind of waiting for another curveball! 

Easier said than done I know but try not to get too far ahead of yourself, I think by nature of going through treatment for a cancer diagnosis we’re always one step ahead by way of trying to prepare ourselves for each outcome or eventuality & sometimes that keeps us sane, other times it can drive us insane. 

It’s also bound to stress you out knowing that part of the team that you’ve got to know & trust isn’t going to be there should you need them with the added hindrance of traveling so far should you need surgery.  

I know it doesn’t help with the waiting & uncertainty but I have a family member that suffers with quite debilitating anxiety & they use breathing & grounding exercises, the 5 senses grounding exercises seem to work quite well (you can easily google these), just a thought to try for those times when it all seems too much & you feel yourself going into a bit of a tailspin. 

Hopefully your results will come through quickly from your PET scan & all this uncertainty will disappear.

Nicola 

• Hello Ker25

I am so pleased to hear about your results, the waiting must have been hard.  I agree with Nicola, I think your consultant is just being very thorough, although it doesn't make for easy waiting for you, I know.  I think we all go through so many investigations (I know I did as did you) that the thought of anything else makes the heart sink.

I think by far and away the most worst thing in a cancer diagnosis is dealing with the uncertainty, and even the experts treating us are loath to give a definitive answer when in some cases they just don't know how a patient will react to a chosen treatment.  You have had an excellent result in your treatment, hold onto that moving forward and although this period is so stressful for you, they are looking at lots of options and will give careful consideration as to what is the best for you.

I am thinking of you and hoping that the time passes quickly until you have that plan in place.

Irene xxx

• While I was taken aback by how long I had to wait to get scanned (a year!), this is one of the reasons I'm okay with it. At 3 months the cancer drugs are still busily ferreting out any lingering cells and devouring them, cackling manically. Apparently all manner of tomfoolery can still happen, so having a little something that's still questionable actually makes a lot of sense.

But sense isn't what casts us into anxiety, is it?

No new growth AND virtual elimination of what you had IS occasion for elation!

It's so hard not to project, but do let yourself boing about over the terrific results. Now is the time to use all the calming and breathing and balancing tools you've learned over the process.

I'm so happy for you!

Hugs

Suz

• Hi  ,  “…the cancer drugs are still busily ferreting out any lingering cells and devouring them, cackling manically”.

Brilliant - JoyJoyJoy - that’s really cheered me up.  Take care  x  Toni 

• Thanks Nicola, I will look that up and will update when I have more news xx

• Thanks Irene, I will keep you updated x

• Thanks suz, I celebrated the first few days then felt like I’d over celebrated a little and felt guilty( Too much alcohol did that Face palm tone2‍)  but also scared of getting ahead of myself incase this pet scan brings up something else. I will keep you updated x