Squamous cell cancer

• 3 replies
  • 36 subscribers

I am almost halfway through my treatment having been diagnosed in October. Colonoscopy on the 23th and choemo and radiotherapy started on 16th November.

To say I was scared is a massive understatement, never in my life have I dealt with such a massive shock.

First thoughts were how do you tell your children and family, husband is amazing and the children, so supportive and their hugs so help.

How do all of you cope with the tiredness, lethargy and  brain  fog, my concentration levels are zero at the moment.

Have taken note of lots of advise on here but so far symptoms after radiotherapy are minimal and paracetamol works, hoping it continues.

Off for more radiotherapy x

• Hello Gaynor

So sorry you have had to find yourself here, and we all share the absolute shock and terror (well me, anyway) on diagnosis.  I am so pleased you have a strong network of support at home, that is really important because the treatment can be quite rough.

Be very kind to yourself and take all the help you can during this period; your body is busy trying to repair itself from all the treatment and that in itself takes so much energy.  At the end of my treatment I spent most of my time in bed being fed cheese on toast with grated onion by my husband - it was all I could eat, along with tomato soup (eventually I had to stop when the acidity hit my back passage).  Don't try and concentrate on anything at all, you have not long to go in your treatment (your symptoms may get worse when treatment finishes) but the relief is overwhelming when you can just chill at home.

I probably don't need to tell you that what we all have is a rare cancer and this is a small forum but there are lots of other people on here who undoubtedly will be along to give lots of advice.  You can talk about anything here - you may not need to but I promise no one here will be shocked if you do.  Wishing all the very best in the rest of your treatment - you are nearly there.

Irene xx

• Hi Gaynor,

So sorry that you've had to join our merry band, but it sure is good to have folks who get it to talk it through. 

I'm so glad your family is stepping up and supporting you so wonderfully! I think that's one of the most helpful things to have on your side.

As for the rest, I coped by not coping. When I got home from treatment I rested. When the exhaustion and pain and brain fog caught up to me, I rested. I canceled pretty much everything in my life and huddled under a blanket, with cats keeping me warm. I know I'm super lucky to have been able to order my life thus, and I'm grateful. 

Take it day by day, hour by hour, and when you need to, minute by minute. 

Sending you strength!

Suz

• Hi  

Firstly welcome to the Macmillan online community although I’m so sorry that you’ve had the need to find us. 

I think we’ve all experienced that fear you speak of, the shock & devastation you feel when you’re told that news is indescribable isn’t it?

What you describe is treatment fatigue & literally all you can do is rest! Unlike ordinary tiredness you just can’t power through fatigue, it’s a different animal altogether. When you consider that you’re body is being bombarded with 2 really toxic treatments there’s really no wonder that it takes it out of you & one of the best ways to help your body recover is rest. I remember needing to take a nap each day when I got back from the hospital and I was still ready for bed at 9pm each night sometimes before. 

I'm so pleased you’re being well supported by your family & that thus far your symptoms are minimal. Please don’t hesitate to ask should you have any more questions.

Good luck with the rest of your treatment & beyond. 

Nicola