Anoscopy

• 11 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Had my second post-treatment anoscopy on Monday. The DRE was bearable, but the anoscope was just not something I could tolerate. She sent someone to find the smallest one they had and got the exam done, but it was really rough. Now, Friday, I'm still bleeding off and on and the pain is starting to recede. The two days after were the worst for pain that I've had since the obligatory post-treatment hell.

I'm already dreading the next one, six months away.

What happened to getting tougher? I've never been stoic, but I think I'm way more sensitized to the pain than before. I'm wimpier!

Suz

• Suz, I have been thinking about you and wondering how you got on.  The anoscopy sounds absolutely horrendous and I am so glad they don't do them this side of the pond.  But that is no comfort to you.  Has your medical team any idea of the pain you go through during and afterwards?  I am really surprised that you aren't offered sedation which wouldn't help with the pain afterwards but would spare you the ordeal of the actual exam.

I am glad to hear that the pain is easing off now.  You are definitely no wimp!

Irene xx

• Hello Suz, oh dear you have had a bit of a experience. As Irene said, we don’t seem to have them here in the UK but I wonder if some do if they have concerns and need to investigate further. Is this just routine where you are or are they being more thorough? I had to go to see a pelvic physiotherapist today and she was just so wonderfully gentle. She was so concerned about possibly causing me discomfort. We know we have to go through some things involving pain but think it’s really important that we don’t always grit our teeth and put up with it and they should look at a way of doing these tests without hurting too much. You are not wimpier and it’s understandable why you feel more sore.

• Hi I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Last summer I had another colonoscopy having had 2 prior to this. It was significantly more painful. This colonoscopy was after my chemo/radiation treatment.  They took biopsies and it showed inflammation in my colon (I'm told caused by the effects of the radiotherapy) which is why I was in more pain than the previous colonoscopies which I tolerated fairly well.   Would it be possible for you to have some sort of sedation at the next anoscopy? Bev x

• I'm going to ask if they can at least give me something to help me relax, and some pain meds for after. Any request for pain help here is met with instant suspicion. But too bad- I need the help!

Thanks so much, you guys.

Suz

• Hi Suz I know how you feel, I’m 7 months post treatment still have pain, I had a second MRI and while waiting for my results I had a lot of bleeding and clots one day, I was worried and managed to get an appointment with my  colorectal surgeon, I was told I was going for a chat to end up being examined which I totally get but wasn’t expecting it and was very anxious, he used his small finger to examine me due to me being scared of it hurting anyway he said it was haemorrhoids but would book me in for a sigmoidscopy.

I went for it, I explained how anxious I was and really scared it would hurt they gave me gas and air while trying to do it but it really hurt and brought me to tears, he wasn’t gentle either which made it worse so they tried to sedate me but I just clamped up so they had to stop the procedure. So never got to the bottom of my bleeding although I haven’t had any bleeding since so that’s good but I was also having it see if I could have a stoma reversal but they have put it on pause saying that I was still inflammation due to radiotherapy and still waiting for another appointment.

take care 

Laura x x

• Oh Laura, that's awful! I'm so dang sorry. Did they say how long they're going to wait? They're not going to scan me until it's been a year past treatment! I'd rather have scans than more physical exams.

• Hi Suz (),

I’m sorry to hear that you found your check-up so painful & uncomfortable. I would agree that you should enquire as to if this could be done either under sedation or as you say just a relaxant would be so much better than nothing.

I'm pleased that the pain is easing but I understand the feelings you’re already having for the repeat performance in 6 months time!! I would try & speak with your treating team in plenty of time before that next appointment so that hopefully they can sort something that will keep you more comfortable. 

I hope you’re feeling more comfortable now. 

Nicola

• Honestly, I think that as part of their training every medical professional should have to experience what a patient goes through. I think (some, not all) wouldn't be quite so blasé about charging ahead when a patient is in obvious pain and distress.  When I had a very painful colonoscopy I told the head consultant on my next visit how bad it was, and he was so gracious and sympathetic and freely admitted that I could have had more sedation that the doctor gave me.  His attitude went a long way to making me feel better about the whole thing.

Irene xx

• Hi Suz!

Ugh—I tend to bleed every time after anoscopy, too!  I’m so sorry that happens to you, also.  I mean, cognitively, we know why it happens, heck, we may even expect it, but that doesn’t change the feelings of the experience.  I hope you’re feeling back to normal, now.  I’m so glad it seems like the results of the exam are good, though!

I’m sorry for getting to this post late.  Has been a very busy couple of weeks between Nutcracker and the kids’ school events, but I saw your post and bookmarked it in my head!  Again, good thoughts your way that you’re feeling “normal” again by now and that you can enter the holiday season with peace of mind.

Bug hugs!

Red

• Ummmm…BIG hugs, not “Bug hugs” (because I think that has the potential to be pretty gross)