What position are you?

• 11 replies
  • 39 subscribers
  • Hi this is a delicate question- I thought you lay down on your back for anal radiation but after reading another discussion it says you may have to have your bottom in the air Face palm tone1‍♀️Persevere
  • is this true does anyone know please? Do you wear underwear? I’m starting to panic!!! This sounds terrible and degrading if true. 
  • Don't panic, Nanny! Both positions are used!

My regular oncologist had me lie on my back, very much to my surprise. I saw another one when he was off, a woman with such a calm and comforting manner, I wish I'd had her all along. She was very surprised that I wasn't buns-up but my radiation techs assured me that it depends entirely on the position of the tumor and how they can get to it most easily.

I was instructed to come in with no medications or ointments on my behind (hard because I really needed those soothing pastes and creams then). I was sent into a little changing room to take everything but my socks off and given a gown. 

Don't panic! It's awkward at first but the techs know what they're doing and will gently and firmly push and prod you into the position they need you. I got two tiny tattoos on my hips to help them get me set just right. It's disconcerting to have the huge machine go round you like a satellite, but I had pretty autumn ceiling panels to look at and you're not there for long. 

Anal cancer doesn't leave you much room for dignity. But when you keep first and foremost in your mind that all of these highly trained professionals are doing everything they can to keep you alive, it's easier to adjust.

Just a few minutes a day. Then it's home to your couch or lounge chair or hammock to rest and recover.

You can do this.

Suz

• Thank you for the reply. Oh god really that has really upset me I’m dreading it!! I’m not going to cope well with that if that’s true. I know if it’s for the best but I feel sick at the thought of it I have to find a way to stay calm and think this through. As of giving birth wasn’t  enough all those years ago now this. I have to take a deep breath. I shouldn’t complain there’s poor children who have treatment for cancer  I’ll have a word with myself but still scared Worried 

• Hi GreenNanny,

Please don't panic you will be well looked after.  I was laid on my back for my radiation and could keep my clothes and shoes on.  When I laid down i just pushed my knickers down a little and my skirt upwards and at the same time the radiologists put a paper towel on top to cover me up so you aren't showing any of your private parts.  You do get used to it after a few sessions. I was treated at Sheffield Weston Park.

You will be fine so don't worry and good luck with your treatment.

Carole x

• I was treated at Addenbrookes and I also laid on my back and they just lowered my trousers (I just wore harem trousers) so they could see the three tattoos one on the pubic bone and one on each hip. They then covered you up with a paper towel. Once I was cold and when I was in position they covered me with a blanket. When I went into the tube I would just sing in my head the same song and knew after so many times the session would be finished. You should feel respected and let them know how you are feeling if you don’t.

• Hi thank you for your reply I’ve calmed down a bit now had a good cry with my husband. Hopefully reading what others have said I’ll be laying down. Thank you again. Wishing you the best. Take care x 

• Hi thank you Jaycee12 for replying. I feel a bit better now reading peoples responses I’ll definitely be humming or thinking of a gorgeous beach some hot and beautiful white sands. Take care x 

• I think it depends on the location of the tumour; you will go before your treatment starts for a scan that pinpoints exactly where the tumour is so that as little of the surrounding tissue is damaged as possible during the radiotherapy.  I was always on my back and the staff are so kind and are well aware of how vulnerable people feel, they work with paper sheets that they slide over your private parts so you don't feel so exposed.  I always had a blanket as well as I feel the cold.  And the actual radiotherapy is very quick, from the time the machine is switched on until the end is under 10 minutes.

And the mantra I keep repeating to myself during all the various examinations and treatment - 'These good and dedicated people choose to do this job'! 

Irene x

• Hello 

Don’t worry we have all had this panic. I can’t tell you the fear I had before starting my treatment and the indignity I felt I was facing! I genuinely thought I wouldn’t be able to do it. My team told me that the position guidelines had recently changed so that everyone was treated lying down, no longer on your front and bottom in the air but as others have said this may be different depending on location of tumour but most are lying on back. 

But let’s take a step back… these people treat hundreds of patients like us every year. They have literally seen it all! They are professional and well equipped to help us with these fears. They see it every single day. 

Honestly you will be fine because whilst the thought of the indignity is horrendous the reality is this treatment will help you live. So keep that thought in mind. It’s a few weeks of your life. That’s all. And then you never have to see these people again! 

To top it all for me in my first treatment my period had just started and I had to deal with that too as you can’t wear a tampax or a pad during treatment. Later in the treatment I felt panic that I would have an accident (I didn’t). The treatment is just a few minutes long. It’s so quick and they are so discreet and help you keep your dignity. So fear not, all will be okay. I promise! 

A few tips… no creams or topical ointments or the treatment won’t work. The area must be clean and free of all the above. You mustn’t drink too much prior to this too as the bladder can affect where the radiation goes and you need to be absolutely perfectly lined up each time (the technicians will ensure this for you. Deep breaths and remind yourself it’s only a few minutes of your life also helps. They often give you a choice of music or a podcast so this can help distract you. 

Let us all reassure you this is perfectly doable. We have been there and done it and I’m a great big scaredy cat and such a prude too so the thought of getting my bits out filled me with dread but I got through it and by the end it really didn’t bother me at all. Because after all it saved my life. These wonderful kind souls looked after me at the worst time of my life and made the whole journey peaceful and dignified. 

It genuinely will be ok and you can do this… sending you love and positive thoughts, 

PPR x 

• Hi PPR thank you very much for the reply and all suggestions and information. I’ll take that on board. I have bronchitis asthma too so fingers crossed I can hold my breath as long as required! I’ve not long had covid for the second time, the second was much harder and needed antival medication but don’t feel I’m fully over it which was just over a month ago. I’m sure I’ll be fine as you say they will all be lovely. Take care PPR x 

• Hi 

During my treatment I just had to remove my jeans in a private changing room where you entered by one door from the waiting area (it could be locked once you’re inside) & exited by another that lead you directly into the radiotherapy room. I hopped on the bed, lay on my back & shuffled my undies down to my thighs but there was always one of the lovely girls there with a modesty sheet while I did this. I was then lined up on the machine, which usually took just a few seconds & the treatment would begin, you’ll be asked to stay as still as possible for obvious reasons but don’t worry you just breathe normally throughout, no need to hold your breath. You’ll be asked to drink a couple of cups of water around half an hour prior to your treatment as this helps lift the bladder out of the way so that it gets as little of the fallout from the radiotherapy as possible. You’ll soon get into the swing of what’s required at your appointments & by the end of your first week you’ll feel like a pro I’m sure & be in & out without any fuss. 

Nicola