HELP feeling scared!

• 8 replies
  • 30 subscribers

Anyone know anything about Malignant ulcerative tumor? I’m so worried I ask and no one replies and this is scaring me I’ve read it on my paperwork when I had a sigmoidoscopy. I’ve googled and read on NHS AND MACMILLAN sites it’s a rare cancer and hard to treat?! I feel sick x 

• Hi welcome to the group. I'm sorry to hear of your current situation, this must be very distressing for you. It doesn't help when you don't get a full explanation from the healthcare professionals. Just to clarify, have you actually been diagnosed with anal cancer? Sometimes tumours can ulcerate and it seems this is what has happened to the tumour in your case.   It is rare that this happens but there are treatments available.  You need to be provided with a full explanation of what treatments are available in your particular case. My tumour had developed a very small ulcer right at the end of the actual tumour. This was treated successfully and I am now 3 years on from treatment with no evidence of disease (NED) ie in remission.   Hopefully you have an appointment in the near future when you ask about treatment options.  Alternatively, you can call your treating hospital and ask to speak to one of the colorectal nurses. 

You can also call the Macmillan helpline for advice.  Most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week and it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00     I hope you get some answers asap.  Bev x

1in1500
  • Hi, i dont know anything about your type of cancer i am sorry to say, but i just saw your post and wanted to say please please dont google your condition and symptoms they are not always correct and they will scare you and they can be outdated. There are new treatments for all types of cancer being found every week if not more frequently. Just wait and see what the proffessionals have to say.Try not to overthink it all i for one know how easy that can be all the best dawn x

• Hi thank you for replying! Yes I have been told I have anal cancer. Also with a prolapsed bowel. I’m waiting for the MDT meeting on Wednesday it should have been last week but still waiting for the biopsy results he said they will next by this Wednesday and they’ll call me Thursday. I have read that it’s very rare especially in the bowel 4cm and difficult to treat. Life expectancy 6-12 months which has scared me keep crying haven’t said anything to family other than my husband and he does everything possible not to talk about it. I understand it’s hard for him too. X  

• Thank you for replying! I know I’m trying to not think about it but this been since the 13th June I had my sigmoidoscopy and told I had cancer and sent for MRI and SCAN THE FOLLOWING DAYS. Had second biopsy. Just feel it’s going on so long x 

• Sorry think I replied and clicked the wrong box. It helps to read it can be treated. Thank you 

• Hi you seem to have a very good team on your side. Try not to dwell on the life expectancy of your cancer, in many many cases including mine we are around a lot longer than you think. I have had cancer now for 18 years and like i said new treatments are coming available all the time. I can underatand waiting for answers is scary you just want to start your treatment now, i was diagnosed with my final cancer in March 2020 the same week as we went into lockdown and didnt get any treatment till June 2020 and i was thinking OMG i am never going to make it. This one is the final one though as its secondary and no cure but i carry on as best as i can and i hope you do too x

• Hi the treatment options will be outlined for you at the appointment after the MDT. It's awful playing the waiting game for results.  Please try not to google in the meantime (much easier said than done I know). Information online cannot possibly tell you how long your life expectancy is, each case is so different and until you receive your biopsy results any information you may be looking at may not be applicable to your case. Also, as has said some information is inaccurate and out of date.   Please give the helpline a call if you feel able to, they will be able to offer support and of course you can always post on here. Bev x

1in1500
  • I totally agree with you Google and horror stories always going to end up making you think think and over think !! I did this for months and wouldn’t advise it or come to any definite conclusions or diagnosis.