Post treatment recovery

• 7 replies
  • 34 subscribers

I have T2N0M0 squamous cell carcinoma in my anal canal and finished 5.5 weeks chemo radiotherapy on 3 February 2022. My external burns have healed, energy levels have improved. However, my anal canal is still inflamed from the treatment and makes bowel movements very painful. (Intense burning and stinging). Also I have urgency to use the bathroom. I’m on painkillers and lactulos twice a day and drinking plenty of fluids. How long on average does it take for the pain/inflammation to ease.

• Hi there, looking at your dates you are very early post treatment and it is not surprising you are feeling sore when using the toilet. I know from reading peoples experiences we are all different when it comes to symptoms but soreness opening the bowels is very common. I am 8 and a half months post treatment and still sometimes experience soreness particularly if I am constipated first thing in the morning. It is no where as painful as it was. I used a sitz bath first thing in the morning which was a great benefit in the passing of a stool. I also had urgency moments and a bearing down pain. I used a skin balm around the area every time I went to the bathroom and tried to not eat between meals and watch my diet although I do have relapse’s of chocolate urges! Ha ha. Be kind to yourself on your slow journey to recovery and you will get stronger. I am not saying you will be as you was but that is what your nursing team are for. I was the same stage as you and can say although my bowels are not the same as before I am learning about how foods effect them and living a pain free life. Good luck!

• Hi  I was the same staging as you and my treatment was for the same duration. Everyone is so different with their healing time. The pain going to the toilet lasted about 1 month after treatment for me. The urgency continued for about 3 months at a higher level after treatment and has always been there since in a morning. It’s usually right after I get up and then again after a coffee and then that’s it for the day. If I was going out somewhere and was worried about going whilst I was out in the early days I would take Loperamide an hour before leaving the house. I would also take an emergency bag in the car with me , just in case, with a plastic bag, wipes and a toilet roll. Fortunately I never had cause to use it and don’t need it now. I also took ibuprofen for the pain. It does get better! Bev. 

• Hi  that’s a good point about diet. Certain things trigger loose bowels with me now, like too much coffee or too much veg. We learn along the way what foods are best tolerated. Good to hear you’re doing well. Bev 

• Hi Bev thankyou, I am drinking decaf coffee and tea and wonder if my first coffee of the day should be real coffee to stimulate the bowels so that this may encourage regularity. It’s worth a try. X

• Hi  I’d definitely give it a try, it always makes me go to the toilet I don’t know how you can drink decaf I don’t feel awake until I’ve had that caffeine hit! Bev x