Side Effects

• 4 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Hi everyone,

Can anyone reassure me in the side effects I am feeling. I'm due my 3 month oncologist appointment next Wednesday and am starting to worry. For the last 3 -4 weeks

I have been suffering with all i can describe is an inflammation feeling in my butt cheeks and aching in my hips. It seems to get worse after I've been sitting for a while. 

I'm tossing and turning in bed at night from the discomfort. Is this normal?  I just feel that I got through my treatment with not to bad effects but this is certainly making up for it.

Nice to hear some positive results on here of late just keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

Thanking you all

Lucy 

• Hi ,

Unfortunately achy hips seem to be a common side effect from pelvic radiotherapy. I still suffer with stiffness in my hips & I’m over 3 years post treatment. It doesn’t always last this long for everyone but I’ve come to terms with the fact that this is probably my new normal. I’m way better when I’m on the move. I also suffered a lot of internal inflammation in the few months following treatment & this sounds similar to what you’re describing. I’ve also suffered sciatica but strangely out of the blue that seems to have resolved itself. My oncologist has checked my scans a couple of times for fractures etc., & thankfully found nothing. I take paracetamol if my hips are particularly bad & it takes the edge off. 

I hope that helps ease your worries a little. 

Nicola 

• Hi Lucy, like Nicky said the achy hips seems a common symptom. In my case if I have been sitting a lot I get aches at the top of each buttock and sometimes it feels weirdly hot!  I now do lots of pelvic stretching and that really helps. I used to suffer from piriformis pain a couple of years ago and these stretches helped enormously. I do them every evening and sometimes first thing in the morning. Julie x

• Hi   just wanted to add that I agree this is entirely normal. My hips ache on/off yet a MRI scan showed no damage from the radiation. Two years post-treatment, I also get bouts of soreness and inflation which does settle after a few days. This used to worry me but not so much any more.  As time goes by and the scans are clear the worry about these ongoing issues does settle. Bev 

• Thank you Ladies for the reassurance it's been really worrying me. Get my results on Wednesday so hopefully all will be good. X