After treatment query

• 2 replies
  • 35 subscribers

After being diagnosed with a 5cm anal tumour in May suffering alot of pain and bleeding i went through 6 weeks of chemoradiation. I  finished this in August and the pain and bleeding has gone and bowel habits are returning to normal. I have just had the appointment with the oncologist. Instead of my oncologist I saw the registrar he had a look said the tumour had gone. A slight lump was from chemo and there were some skin folds. He said he would sort CT scan and see me again in 3 months. As well as the tumour it had spread to a lymph node in the rectum he said CT scan would show if this was clear. I asked about MRI and camera but was told no need. Is this normal I know I should feel relieved and happy being told I'm clear but I feel apprehensive.I was expecting alot more checks before getting the all clear. What if its spread and the original tumour gone. Are others experiences the same after treatment or were they more thorough in giving the all clear. Feeling very confused and worried.

• Hi ,

Firstly it’s really great to hear your recovery is going so well.

Follow  ups seem to have always differed slightly from hospital to hospital & since the pandemic began things have changed further I think. Personally I had both an MRI & CT scan at 3 months post treatment, I’ve never had the camera as part of surveillance only scans & digital rectal examinations. Both my oncologist & surgeon have both assured me that by far the best way to check for recurrence or residual disease is by digital rectal examinations. Also remember that the radiotherapy continues working for quite some time following you last session. Hopefully your scan appointment won’t be too long coming through & if you’re feeling anxious the results & reports should be written up within a couple of weeks of the scan taking place so give your oncologist a ring to see if he would be prepared to discuss the findings over the phone with you. 

Hope this helps a little.

Nicola 

• Hi 

• My experience is similar to Nicki. I have had 6 week check ups, MRI and CT scan. Both consultants I have seen have said the digital rectal examination tells them the most. They seem to be feel that there is no cancer and the scar tissue. I did also have a check under General Anaesthetic by the surgeon. It was suggested if any doubt he would take a biopsy but fortunately no biopsy taken and he also confirmed the all clear. I am now on 3 month check ups and that includes a digital rectal examination and she also checks all my lymph node areas. I was told they do this as an MRI can miss recurrence! No more MRIs but I do have a CT scan in December so that will be 6 months since last MRI.  
      As Nicki has said the radiotherapy will still be working in your body too, so to have been given the all clear already is great news! 
      I’m sure they can tell a lot from the examinations so be confident and pleased it’s gone. They’ll check again together with the CT scan in 3 months which will be even more reassuring. It sounds to me you have done brilliantly….. 

Ruth