Long term itching

• 4 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Hi all, 

im about 10 weeks post treatment for stage 2 SCC. I’ve always had regular bowel movements (2-4 a day). However I feel that this is delaying my healing. I am virtually back to normal but the itch after a bowel movement is unreal. It’s an itch that goes through my entire body, and I end up scratching it until it’s sore - which means e45 stings like a mother when I apply it. Is this normal? I’m so worried thah the itching is a sign that the tumour is regrowing - and also the itching makes me feel so irritable. I take an antihistamine, but I really don’t like the idea of having to take those long term. 

is anyone in the same position? 

• Hi  the itching is the worst thing isn’t it!  I’m 2 years post treatment and still get it occasionally. Piriton is recommended for the itching although it’s best taken at night as it can make you drowsy. Unfortunately, the radiotherapy affects most of us in terms of increased bowl movements but some do go the other way. Things will heal, it just takes time. The itching is very common and it’s only natural to worry it’s tumour is growing again but it’s a usual feature after radiotherapy. All the skin is raw and healing and gets sore very easily. Just check with a pharmacist that it’s ok to take piriton with any other drugs you may be taking. Bev. 

• Thanks darling Bev. I just love that I can post here and get the reassurance I need. I just can’t wait for my 3 month appoint to find out what’s going on. xx

• Hi, the itchy bum is terrible. I took Cetrizine antihistamines which are (non-drowsy) and Clotrimazole (thrush cream) which were recommended by my nurse and they helped a lot. The itching lasted quite a while before it gradually subsided. I was told to take up to 4 antihistamine on a bad day but only the cetrizine type. Hope this helps xxx Marie 

• Hi  I really hope all goes well at the three month appointment, I know how stressful the waiting is, don't forget we're here for you whenever you need us. Bev x