No energy

• 8 replies
  • 35 subscribers

I have completed 1st week of chemoradiation and just wondering if the tiredness eases? I’m struggling to get my breath after just going upstairs, I expected some but just thought I would check others

• Hi 

The fatigue was a biggy for me, I found I needed to nap on an afternoon, usually straight after I’d got back from my treatment appointment & it was so different to normal tiredness. You can fight through ordinary tiredness but real fatigue just floors you. The only thing I would say is keep an eye on the breathlessness, this could be a sign of neutropenia, this can cause breathlessness. I would mention this at your next appointment & your team will possibly check your bloods. 

Nicola 

• Hi Sasue, I'm sorry but you're probably starting to suffer fatigue which is pretty much what I suffered before,  during and after treatment. Your body is going through quite an ordeal and so just rest as much as possible. The medication you may have already or will start taking to alleviate side effects will also add to being tired. I'm 4 months post treatment and still suffer from fatigue however there are others in the group that, cycle,jog and much more. We're all different and so the side effects are although in the majority the same but at different levels. As for your breathing, it is very important that you report this to your Radiotherapy and nursing team. I had trouble breathing right from the start and it turned out to be drying of the bronchial tract and was given an inhaler that helped enormously. Anything that worries you tell your team and they will do everything to help you. Hope this helps Xxx Marie 

• Hi there could be different reasons for the breathlessness. I noticed I was breathless after going upstairs and would feel a bit dizzy on occasions. Turns out I was anaemic. Please mention it to your treating team. You will be tired though, this treatment does take it out of you. Try and rest as much as you can, it will help with healing.  Bev 

• Thank you all for your advice, so helpful, I’ll speak to my team when I go in this morning about the breathing as it’s definitely not eased Thumbsup

• Contacted team and I’m COVID positive:( at least explains the breathlessness but feeling very fed up 

• Oh blinking heck I'm not surprised that you're feeling fed up. Like you say at least you have the explanation as to why you have been so breathless. Are you still able to finish your treatment? At my hospital we patients were all given a Covid test every week and I asked the nurse what happens if I test positive and I was told that there was a special unit for patients that tested positive. I'm assuming that you have had both your Covid vaccines and if so then hopefully your symptoms will be lessened. I'm so sorry that you have extra to worry about and my heart goes out to you. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on. Thinking of you my dear xxx Marie 

• Oh ok, that could explain the breathlessness then definitely . Take good care of yourself & make sure you get plenty of rest. I hope you’re feeling better very soon. 

Nicola 

• Hi  I’m so sorry to hear you’ve tested positive for Covid. Hopefully this won’t affect your treatment. What terrible timing! Bev