Just started first infusion and tablet capacitive followed by radiotherapy.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 33 subscribers

Just started first day of one infusion and oral cepecttibine followed by radiotherapy.

Feel better first day over but don't know what to expect in the coming days sickness and incase when and where I might poo or pee myself at an awkward moment ! 

• Hello 

Welcome! I start on Wednesday so I too have shared your worry about what to expect but what I’ve gleaned so far from this lovely group is expectations are far worse than the reality! 

There are lots of people here far better to advise you but from what I  know so far is the first couple of weeks should be ok. By week 3 you may expect (depending on the strength of your treatment), feel a bit of discomfort and feel very tired. Maybe a bit nauseous. Plenty of anti emetic medications on offer from you chemo team so don’t be scared to ask! 

Your radiotherapy may give you sore and broken /burnt skin and your team should also help you with this. Keep the area well moisturised with approved products (your team can advise - usually flamigel during treatment and  non irritating creams such as aqueous cream). You may need strong pain killer which you can also ask your team to prescribe. 

Depending on your treatment (for most on here it seems to be 5 and a half weeks of daily chemo and radiotherapy) symptoms tend to escalate slowly and peak at about two weeks post treatment as the radiation continues to work. 

Your team at the hospital should support you in every way during this journey so don’t be afraid to ask them anything. 

There are all sorts of tips and tricks on here on how to make yourself more comfortable during these weeks such as sitz baths to ease pain (available on Amazon), StrataXRT gel to protect skin during radiation (available to buy online - NHS doesn’t seem to supply this mostly), Polymem foam dressings to aid and help skin heal, morphine gel as a topical aid for pain. 

You can browse through previous questions on this forum for a plethora of wonderful knowledge. Wishing you all the best with your treatment! Keep us posted! 
    best wishes