Awaiting biopsy results

• 18 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Hi, I just wondered other people’s experiences, I have the risk factors for Anal Cancer, HPV carrier, have had fistulas due to 35 years of Crohn’s disease, pre-cancerous cells in cervix, 45 year old female.

I have been experiencing blood, pus, itchiness and soreness for 18 months - unable to be examined before due to Covid (and everything is usually explained away as a Crohn’s complication).  I saw the surgeon last week, she was unable to properly examine me at the time due to pain but I was alarmed with how quick she wanted me in for the biopsy - in 35 years of Crohn’s disease treatment I’ve never only waited 10 days for anything! 

So I had a biopsy under anaesthesia yesterday, surgeon came to see me afterwards and said she didn’t know what it was. It’s flat, goes further back than she first thought but it could just be scar tissue.  She said it’s small and if it is a growth it’ll be treatable.  She asked if I wanted to see her if it was bad news or just speak on telephone (I said telephone to not hold things up waiting for an appointment).  She said she’d phone as soon as she had the results and I’m booked in for a CT scan if I need it (I can’t have MRI due to SNS implant).

Sorry this is so long, I just wanted to know if anyone had experienced their growth/abnormality being described as ‘flat’?  Has anyone else came out of the biopsy with the surgeon not being sure what they’re dealing with?  Obviously I’m worried but not sure how worried I should be.  After 35 years of Crohn’s I’ve been through pain and practically every indignity imaginable - I can and will deal with it and give it all the fight I can muster as I have 2 kids who need me.  I’m rambling now, hope you’ve not gotten bored and left Joy TIA for any replies x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Neesy, 

I’m new here too. I had my biopsy last week and was just told that mine is anal cancer. Not sure what stage since I haven’t had my scans yet. The waiting is truly terrible! I can tell you that I have had so much support on this forum. There are several members that have helped answer my questions. In all my reading, I have learned that anal cancer is highly curable. Good luck!

• Hi ,

Welcome to the Macmillan online community although I’m sorry that you’ve had the need to find us.

At diagnosis my tumour was 2cm in diameter but only 2mm in depth so I suppose mine could have been described as flat also. The surgeon that biopsied me wasn’t sure either (unless he was saving me the worry until the results came back!) My biopsy results took exactly 7 days to come back. Mine was undetectable on both my CT & MRI scans following my biopsy & according to my surgeon I was very early stages, I was staged T1N0M0. Because of the early detection & it not fully invading the muscle my tumour was removed surgically prior to a reduced course of chemoradiotherapy.

I really do hope your biopsy comes back negative for anal cancer, it sounds as though you’ve been through a lot already with your Crohn’s disease, but if not please be reassured that this is a highly treatable cancer & there are many on this forum that are testament to this. 

I hope this helps a little. 

Nicola 

• Hi  and welcome to the Group. I was diagnosed with anal cancer in 2019, the biopsy confirmed it was squamous cell cancer positive for HPV 16. Like you I also had HPV related precancerous cervical cells. That was 30 years before my A/C diagnosis. That said, just because you have had HPV issues in the past doesn’t mean you have cancer now. As you haven’t had any scans yet it won’t be possible for the doctor to say if it is A/C until the sample is biopsied. My results took about 10 days to come back. The surgeon had told me before this that he strongly suspected it was cancer but I’d already had my CT and MRI scans by then & he had those results. My cancer was not flat, it was like a raised ridge, it was a Stage  2.  The success rates for treatment of A/C are very good. I know it will be very difficult waiting until you receive your results so please come back on here for support whenever you need it. Bev x

• Hi neesy. I am glad you have posted and got some great responses. Not knowing bit of this journey is the worst bit so far. Like you I had precancerous cervix treatment and hpv. Colonoscopy happened to notice flat thickening so did a biopsy a few days later. The result was squamous cell carcinoma (all new to me) and thought it might be secondary cancer site. That was awful as like you I am a mum (4 kids with youngest 3) but after loads of further scans that changed and it’s only a single tumour and I start treatment in 10 days and consultant was positive and curable.  So even if the biopsy says something remember there is still a way to go and don’t panic (easier to say now less easy to do then). Take care, keep positive and we are all here if you need us. 

• Hi 

Yes the waiting just now is awful, I didn’t even think about waiting on the next stage which must be worse.  I have been doing a lot of reading too and yes there seems to be a lot of good outcomes.  I hope yours is in the very early stages and treatment is simple and effective.  Thank you so much for reaching out. 

• Hi 

thanks for your reply, it really does help to know that others have been where you are and understand the worry.  I don’t want to discuss it much in real life as I don’t want my loved ones to worry when it might still be nothing.  It feels therapeutic just to even write things down and know someone has taken the time to read it.  Thanks again, this seems like a lovely community.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Neesy

Hi Neesy,

in response to your initial question above, the surgeon described my tumor as being on a stalk like a mushroom she said. Mine is cancer but I haven’t had my scans yet so I don’t know much more. The waiting is the worst, isn’t it? Good luck and please let us know what you find out.

• Hi 

Thanks for your reply, yes the wait is hard and I’m trying (and failing) to stay away from Google.  One thing I read was that ‘flat’ pre-cancerous lesions are more common in people with Inflammatory Bowel Disease, something to do with how the bowel wall has already been damaged by the inflammation so they present differently to the usual polyp type. I don’t know if that applies in the anal canal too though.  Anyway, I should really just stop trying to diagnose myself and wait for the call.  Thank you for reaching out, I have been reading people’s stories - you’re all warriors and I’m grateful to have found the group. x

• Hi 

thanks for your reply.  What made them think it might be a secondary cancer?  Do they have to do a full body scan to rule out a primary anywhere else?  Just realising how little I know about cancer.  How old are your oldest kids, my youngest is 13, she is old enough to understand but wouldn’t cope with the news, thinking it might be best to say nothing.

I hope your treatment goes well, what stage are you (trying to get my head round how these numbers work)?  Thanks again for reaching out with reassuring words, it means a lot with my mind in overdrive.

• Oh I remember my brain being in complete melt down and the only thing that helped was distraction- work and reading. It’s tough so I feel for you. I know you are looking for answers on google - I did for sure but mostly it just made me worry more so if you can try and not read everything. The best advice Some one gave me was each person’s journey is different so statistics don’t help you on that journey. that’s not to say I didn’t fall off the google wagon but I did try and limit it. 

im not sure why they thought secondary but I think it was positioning and that the cells in the biopsy weren’t exactly looking like squamous cancer cells I think. So they thought they might be different. Not entirely sure though. So yes I had full body scans mri, ct and pet scan. And luckily they found nothing beyond the tumour except a small gallstone ( the pain from which I had convinced myself was more cancer). Every ache and pain was a worry - still is even with the scans. 

my eldest is 14, then 11, and a 9 year old and youngest is 3 so I was more worried about them and their dad then me. Once we got the diagnosis and understood the treatment we told them. They asked a few questions but were fine. Eldest commented he was just relieved I wasn’t pregnant again as he has enough brothers. So there is often funnies too. 

hope you get the results soon and let us know how you are doing. Dx