Post-Treatment Advice / Symptom Management

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 12 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Hi all,

My Dad was diagnosed with anal cancer in December and had radiotherapy and chemo for 5 weeks daily. It is now around 7 weeks since his treatment finished. He is experiencing problems going to the loo and also pain. He has of course spoken to his oncologist and radiotherapist, but so far their main solution sees to have been laxatives, morphine, paracetamol and some gels / foams to help clean...none of this seems to be working and of course he is worries

He is 86 and is getting very down and so I would really like to try and help him - his biggest worry is not actually being able to produce stools and this is in turn affecting his ability to pee. he gets up many times in the night and not much happens. He also gets some shooting pains / cramps - the doctor said he has an ulcer which maybe is flaring up at times too.

I am not currently in the UK so am supporting him remotely...and I am not sure if he is pushing the doctors hard enough for support answers so really what I would like to know from people who have experienced this themselves is..

1) What sort of questions / support / information should he be asking for from the doctors?

2) Does anyone have any tips on how to manage not being able to produce stools and what worked for you (medicine, maybe even food / diet, types of laxatives, pain relief)?

3) Experiences to share about recovery - so that he can see some personal experiences and know he is not alone?

Any information really would be very gratefully received and appreciated. Thank you.

• Hi Suzaca,  I'd like to say hello and welcome but I'm sorry that you have the need to find us. Post treatment side effects from Chemoradiotherapy are truly unpleasant and quite distressing but we do get through it and on this site we find help, support and advice from each other. We're all at different stages on the road to getting well. I'm now 3and half weeks post treatment which was 5 days a week for 5 1/2 weeks chemo tablets and Radiotherapy in total 28 days of treatment. Most people suffer from constipation, diarrhoea or both. Myself it's both. The most painful being is constipated. My care team repeatedly told me that I needed to keep the stools as soft as possible to make going to the loo less painful and allowing the treated area to heal. I was given Laxido which is a laxative that is dissolved in water and taken every day. The amount needed is different for everyone, for me it's usually 2 sachets a day but it can be up to as many as it takes as my nurses told me. It's very important to be properly hydrated for both passing urine and stools so drinking plenty of water is very important. I was also told when constipated to eat soft bland foods such as boiled, mashed potatoes, fish, chicken etc but to avoid high fibre as this bulks up in the bowels and takes longer for the body to digest making the problem worse. I've gone from being constipated to having to do a quick dash to get there in time but believe me it's much better and I'm a lot less stressed and pained. Instead of using toilet paper to wipe it's better to use water wipes which are just like baby wipes they can be bought from just about any supermarket and believe me they are a Godsend when everything is very sore. I don't know if your father is taking anti sickness tablets but they also cause constipation and so again lots of fluids needed to compensate. Your father not passing urine can be that he's dehydrated but it's very important that he tells his doctor just in case something else is causing the problem. Laxatives do cause extra wind and can cause mild stomach aches so with your dads ulcer it's important that the doctor recommends all medications including laxatives. I'm not an expert I can only pass on to you from my personal experiences and from the help and advice I've received from others on this group who are absolutely brilliant with a wealth of information and experience. I do hope that I've been of some help and I'm sure you will have other members answer you soon. X

• Hi welcome to the group, I'm sorry to hear about your Dad's ongoing problems. After treatment, people can experience different issues and constipation can be one of them. The first thing to consider is what your dad's diet is like at the moment. It may be as a starting point he needs to include more fruit, vegetables and fibre in his diet. Is he eating enough or has he lost his appetite? Drinking plenty of water will also help. I was advised that rather than  take laxatives  a stool softener which helped when I had brief periods of constipation. I see your Dad has been prescribed morphine but the difficulty with that is that it has a constipating effect which may explain why he has been prescribed laxatives and not stool softeners. I see you are not based in the UK and this is difficult as you obviously cannot attend appointments with him. I would be asking for diet related advice, perhaps a referral to a dietician, more information on why he isn't able to readily produce stools (although this could be diet and hydration  related) and what other pain relief alternatives there are other than opioid based pain killers. If your dad doesn't feel able to raise these issues himself he could perhaps consider providing consent for you to speak to one of the colorectal nurses at his treating hospital then you can raise these issues on his behalf.  Hopefully others will be along soon to provide details of their own post-treatment issues. Bev 

• Hi     has given some good advice there. I also used Laxido, two sachets a day during any periods of constipation. I would make sure your dad runs  past his treating team any changes in anything he is taking. The issue of diet is one of trial and error as Mecca has said too much fibre can actually make things worse, so he shouldn't go overboard with his fibre intake. It really is a difficult balancing act! 

•  Hi, I addition to the excellent advice you’ve already had, I’d try to get Dad to phone the Macmillan cancer helpline on 0808 808 0000, open 7/7 8am - 8pm.

Sometimes it’s easier to talk to a stranger  xx  Toni

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Mecca

Thank you so much Mecca, this information is really helpful. i really appreciate the time taken to reply. I am really sorry you are going through this too and I wish you all the best xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to 1in1500

1in1500...thank you and yes, I will keep reiterating that he speak to the doctor

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Toni8776

- thank you, he had a nurse assigned to him during treatment, but will give him this number as well.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to 1in1500

Hi Bev, sorry I didn't see your name in the other reply! He has lost weight, but fortunately is still eating. He has quite a healthy diet with fresh meat, fish, veg and fruit. His friend suggested he try bran and yoghurt, but perhaps this might not actually be helping if it is too high in fibre. I have offered to speak to the doctors / nurses, but he has said he doesn't want me to do this. It's hard to get the right balance between respecting his wishes and pushing to get the information required to know he is getting the optimum treatment and good communication.

• Hi  this must be very difficult for you. He knows you’re there and willing to help if he changes his mind. Not sure if he uses the internet but if he does he could come on here and read the posts. People don’t always like to actually post but just reading other’s stories can be helpful. Bev 

•   You’re right about getting “the right balance”!  And for patients too, it’s hard to get the right balance between being as independent as possible & asking for help when you need it.

It’s a steep learning curve that we all have to negotiate as best we can.  I’m sure your love & care means a lot to your dad:)  xx toni