One for the girls

• 42 replies
  • 36 subscribers

As if it couldn't get more personal..... I need a bit of advice and for want of a better word; reassurance. At the end of my treatment which is now 3weeks ago I had my final review with one of my nurses and was given a leaving 'present'! I have to admit it was a bit of a jaw dropping moment!! I was given a Femmax dilator/ trainer set. I was given instructions on how, when and how many times to use it. I was told to start at the 3 week post treatment mark but I'm really nervous as I'm still very sore and still having a wee is very painful. How was it for you girls? Is there anything that I need to take heed or be worried about? Xxx

• Hi  I can understand where your daughter is coming from! It’s no bad thing to not be in a positive frame of mind when speaking to the Counsellor, no one can be positive all the time. It will help to unload some of those negative feelings. I cried at my first appointment which I didn’t expect to. It made me realise that I had been putting a brave face on things and it was the time to acknowledge my feelings which I had buried. Hope your session went well. Bev x

1in1500
  • Oh dear Lord... THE counselling session! I can barely think about it without Catherine Tate's granny character making an appearance... "what a load of old @#*%" ... She was late calling me, she only got my name right on the 3rd attempt she also told me that now I'd had chemotherapy I'd be cancer free so I can move forward!! When I told her it doesn't work like that she seemed like she was out of her depth. I was very polite but we both came to the conclusion that I'd be better having hypnotherapy which is what I was supposed to be getting Anyway. She left me saying she would put my name down as an urgent case for the before said. Eee I'm not having much luck am I? Well, if one positive thing came from it it's the knowledge that a councillor is not for me..at least not that one lol. Been to the loo 11 times today, I'm exhausted xxx Marie 

• Hi  that doesn’t sound like a good experience at all. I had counselling with a Counsellor who dealt with cancer patients only. Not had hypnotherapy personally but I have heard it can be very effective. 11 times of trotting to the toilet! No wonder you’re exhausted and sore probably. Maybe have a salt bath and try and catch an early night. Tomorrow’s another day. Bev x

1in1500
  •  You’re bovvered & rightly so, well done for remaining polite - you’d probably be better off chewing your finger nails down to your elbows;)  That level of counselling is a disgrace!

Sorry but no suggestions from me.  A week long bad patch, death in the family yesterday, a 1 hour fraught discussion with my usually delightful palliative nurse today, feeling drained & negative.

So I’m just sending you a hug.  Now I’m going to watch my newly installed wall tv until my eyes drop out or I lose the will to live, whichever comes firstJoy  xx  toni

• Hi Marie (),

Crikey your counsellor sounded either very distracted, taking 3 attempts to get your name correct really!! surely on a telephone consult it would have been written down in front of her? or she was way out of her depth! Surely she had a little prior knowledge of why you were needing to speak with her! I would agree with Bev in the fact that in our position it’s a counsellor that deals with cancer related issues that you should be referred to & this doesn’t sound like the lady you’ve spoken to although by nature of the job she should have been able to offer you a little more than she did! 

Hope the toilet trots eased off & you’ve managed a decent sleep last night. 

Nicola

• Hi Toni (),

I’m so sorry for your loss & sorry too that you’ve hit this rough patch at the minute. It’s so easy to slip into a negative mindset when we’re struggling a bit & that in itself is exhausting! At time like this I just try convincing myself that tomorrow will be a better day. 

Hope you found something at least a little distracting to watch on your new tv & neither of the latter in your post actually happened lol

Nicola

•  Thanks Nicola, I’ve been watching tv on my phone for a few months & haven’t had a tv for about 15 years - the attendance allowance paid for this 55” tv now that I’ve found a way to lie on my sofa - it feels like home cinema! & means I’m not going to bed at 7pm instead:)

The film - X-Men: Days of Future Past - silly tho it is, was about people being able to change & overcome their demons, & I guess I needed an injection of hope, escapism & lots of chocolateJoy

Fall down, get up.  Right now I need more ups & less downs...  xxx  toni

• Hi Ladies

Hope you don't mind me dropping in from the Womb forum. Us ladies who have had brachytherapy after surgery have also been given the same pressie. Just stop if you feel discomfort - it is very hard to get your head around using them!

Just to mention you can get Optilube (sterile lubricating jelly) on prescription. 6 months down the line I've only achieved no 3 but confess I have resorted to using battery operated toys,

B xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Thanks very much for your input , it’s great to get another view on this as we’re all gifted with stenosis! Please do feel free to drop in anytime. 

Nicola 

• Well, today I've tried again (9 days later)! Unlike my last attempt I didn't twist and move the dialator which I was told to do by my nurse, just.. in..leave and remove. It stung quite a bit but it wasn't as bad and there was no blood as before. I am a bit flummoxed how a water based lubricant can sting so much though! Anyway I'll have one less thing to worry about now. I was worried that I would end up with 'Barbie bits'. Xxx Marie