Thankyoi

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 33 subscribers

I'd like to say a big thankyou to you all. I had my CT scan and MRI scan Tuesday and a phone call to see doctor Wednesday. According to the scans I had, it's in my bottom and a few lymph nodes in my groin. But dosnt look like it's anywhere else. Barnsley have now refered me to Sheffield Northern general. I have to go for a pet scan Tuesday.

If it wasn't for you lot here I would be in the dark, but I understood most of what they said. So I'm so glad I found you. I'm eternally grateful to Nikki65 who led me here 

Just one thing bothers me at the moment. Sheffield is a distance from here meaning a bus ride, train ride and another bus ride to the hospital. My daughters taking me Tuesday but when I start treatment I've no idea how I'm going to make the journey every day. Daughter says she will take some time off work. But I just hate putting on her. With her working and kids etc. But I suppose it will work its self out.

I feel 100 % better than I did and I'm thinking so positive after reading all your stories. I'm forever grateful to you all for being here and wishing you all the luck in the world xx

• Hi again ,

I'm so pleased you’re here & thank you for your kind words, there really is no substitute for getting support from people that have been there & walked in your shoes. We have people here that have been diagnosed at all different stages of AC & many like yourself have had to travel for treatment etc., as due to it being one of the less common cancers there are only certain teams/hospitals around the country that deal with our treatments & you’ve obviously now been referred to the team closest to you. 

Regarding your travel my advice would be to give either Barnsley Hospital or Sheffield Northern General a ring & ask them if they provide any kind of hospital transport, I’m fiercely independent & find it quite difficult accepting help from others but I had to during treatment, if your daughter is offering her support then give it some thought, it’ll probably help her too feeling that she’s doing something to help you. Presuming it’ll be chemoradiotherapy that you’ll be having the treatment & the traveling on top of that can become really tiring so the kind of journey you’ve described (bus, train,bus) Monday-Friday for 5+ weeks will be pretty trashing. I was really lucky that the hospital I was treated at is only a 20-30 minute drive from me but they’re also supported by a fantastic charity called Daft as a Brush that own a fleet of minibuses all driven by volunteers that transport anyone locally free of charge to & from hospital undergoing any form of cancer treatment, I used these & will be eternally grateful for the assistance they provided me especially towards the end of my treatment. 

We’re always here for support & with a listening ear whenever you need us. 

Nicola

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Nikki65

Thankyou so much. X

• i was asked if i needed transport..i said yes because my kids were planning a rota for days off work so someone could take me every day..they have mortgages and kids so they cant keep having days off. i was picked up and brought home by a very nice man and that was only for an appointment. i start treatment in 2 days and transport is all arranged x