Dad newly diagnosed with AML - any advice much appreciated.

• 1 reply
  • 22 subscribers

Hello everyone,

My family is at the start of our journey with this. Last week my Dad was diagnosed with AML, he's 81 and they will be starting him on Venetoclax and Azacitidine next week if he can get a place in hospital to start treatment. They have told us they are hoping to give him two good years.

I am reaching out as I wanted to know if anyone has any useful advice both for my Dad, as the patient, and for his family supporting him. Perhaps you were in my situation and can share any wisdom you might have now you are further along in your journey with this. It's all very new and overwhelming and we want to support him, and each other, as best as we can.

Wishing everyone the best and thanking you very much in advance for any advice you can offer.

Best wishes,

Tilly

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us and to hear about your dad’s diagnosis.

I am Mike and I keep an eye on our various Blood Cancer groups.

I don’t have Acute Myeloid Leukaemia (AML)  but for some context I was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 with a rare (8 in a million) incurable but treatable type of Cutaneous T-Cell NHL (a type of slow growing Low-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma) ……. eventually reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 when a second, also rare (4 in a million) type of aggressive Peripheral T-Cell - Not Otherwise Specified NHL (a type of fast growing High-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma) was then presenting so although my Lymphoma ‘type’ is different I most definitely appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well.

Let’s look for group members to pick up on your post and get back to you. You can also click on the main ‘AML Group’ title and this will bring up all the group posts. Have a look at the posts and as always you can hit reply to any post and connect in with the wider group conversations.

Although the 2 links below are taken from a Lymphoma support site the information goes across blood cancer types.

Top tips for family, friends and carers

Top Tips for the day of your Chemotherapy

As for the practical and emotional challenges of supporting your dad and indeed yourself you may benefit from joining and posting in our general ……

Family and Friends

Carers only (if you are their caregiver)

……. support groups where you will connect with a wide range of members navigating the exact same support challenges.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support or just a listening ear.

For good information do check out Leukaemia Care UK who produce very good information and run various support platforms including their Buddy Scheme, they also have a Support Line on 08088 010 444

Always around to help more or just to chat

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge