Concerned mum

• 2 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hi

My 17 year old daughter was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia. Chemotherapy just isn't working for her so the only option left is to try a stem cell transplant. She is going into hospital early June. However, I also foster babies. I am really worried as I know my daughter will be at high risk of infection during her recovery. I have 4 other children ranging from 7-20yrs old. I am currently fostering a 1 year old. I really don't want to unsettle her by moving her to other carers. However, do I have a choice? Will the baby be any more of an infection risk than my other children? I just want to keep everyone safe. 

• Hi   and welcome to this corner of the Community although I am sorry to hear about your daughter. I am Mike and I keep an eye on our various Blood Cancer groups.

I don’t have Acute Myeloid Leukaemia (AML) but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of low grade NHL, then in late 2013 with a second more aggressive type of NHL reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the journey rather well.

I know the Stem Cell Transplant (SCT) journey extremely well as I have had 2 Allo (donor) SCTs the first in June 2014 then again in Oct 2015.

During and post SCT your daughter will be at risk from infections…… to the point it was recommended that I should not to be with my newborn granddaughter for 3 months post SCT.

I did have oleft granddaughters at the time and was able to see them but the bottom line she your daughter can catch an infection at any time where a healthy person would not.

The SCT process is demanding…… so talking with others who have done the journey or supported family can help……. We do have a dedicated Stem Cell Transplant support group so do consider joint the group.

Always around to chat on here or on the SCT group.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks so much for this. Much appreciated.