Dad recently diagnosed with AML

• 2 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hello all. 

My dad (74 yo) has recently been diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia. We are awaiting the results of genetic testing to find the subtype of AML he has so that treatment can begin. He was feeling well beforehand with just some breathlessness so the diagnosis has come as a complete shock. 

I still live at home with my mother (69 yo) who is not in the best of health herself, and brother (40 yo) who has autism.

I am feeling a lot of pressure on me to support them and I am really worried about the future. My brother and my mum don't work and I have no idea how the household is going to keep going if my dad dies. I am aware that the prognosis rate is very poor for AML in older people. I am in a very poor financial position, having moved back in with my parents to save money as I am on a Debt Management Plan and still have around £15,000 of debt to pay off. My dad was still working up until he became ill. I am single and don't have any other close family members to help me. I don't really know where to turn and feel like the world is on my shoulders at the moment. 

I was wondering if anyone could suggest any sources of advice/guidance please. Thank you.

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us.

I am Mike and I keep an eye on our various Blood Cancer groups.

I am so sorry to hear about your dad's AML diagnosis and the challenges you as a family are facing.

It is an emotional time supporting family so you might find this Macmillan information your feelings when someone has cancer helpful as well as this link getting help with your emotions.

I don’t have Acute Myeloid Leukaemia (AML) but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of NHL reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the journey rather well.

As for the treatment side of things let's look for the group members to pick up on your post and get back to you. You can also click on the main ‘AML Group’ title and this will bring up all the group posts. Have a look at the posts and as always you can hit reply to any post and connect in with the wider group conversations.

As for you and the rest of the family, getting support is important, so you may find it helpful to join our General Carers only support group where you will connect with others carers navigating the exact same support challenges.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00.

This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support...... and importantly benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Your dad may well be able to claim various benefits as can you as a carer, so do call the support line and they will do a full benefits review for you.

You may also want to check to see if you have a Maggie's Centre in your area as these folks are amazing and support all the family.

Always around to help more or just to chat ((Hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Mike, I am processing everything at the moment and very overwhelmed but I will follow up on the sources you have signposted me to.