Hello! I'm new here

• 1 reply
  • 21 subscribers

My Great grandaughter who is 2 in a few months was diagnosed with ALM in the new year. 

I was devistated by her diagnosis but have to keep positive.  

The hospital she is in are are fantastic.  She will be there for a long while yet.

She has not been well recently, high temperature and high heart rate. 

I am supporting my grandaughter and giving her help and lots of hugs.

Caz

• Hi Caz  and welcome to this corner of the Community although I am so sorry to hear about your great granddaughters AML diagnosis.

am Mike and I keep an eye on our various Blood Cancer groups. I don’t have Acute Myeloid Leukaemia (AML) but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of NHL reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the journey rather well….. but dealing with this in a 2 year old is on another level.

Over the years I have been volunteering on the community there have been a few similar cases so kets look to see if the  members to pick up on your post and get back to you.

At a young age there is the challenges of them being able to communicate as to what is going on so it makes the journey that much harder….. but the families that I have talked with over the years do say how resilient little ones can be and the treatments used can be very effective especially as a young immune system can be re-educated.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

For good information do check out Leukaemia Care UK who produce very good information and run various support platforms including their Buddy Scheme, they also have a Support Line on 08088 010 444

You may also want to check to see if you have a Maggie's Centre in your area as these folks are amazing and are a great support fir all the family.

Always around to help more or just to chat ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge