Hello - I’m new here

• 11 replies
  • 22 subscribers

My husband was diagnosed with Myelodysplastic Syndrome in August 2022.  The prognosis is terminal. Because of his age, treatment options were very limited.   In recent months, the disease has progressed to Acute Myeloid Leukaemia, and the haematologist says it is a matter of months now.  With the new year, he unfortunately caught some infections and had dangerously high fever and was bedridden for several days.  He is better but certainly a lot worse off.  Some days he doesn’t have the energy to get out of bed.  As his caregiver, I am doing my best to give him good support with love and respect.  He is suffering excruciating pain from arthritis; surgery is out of the question.  These are challenging times for both of us.   I’ll end for now, but I look forward to reading more posts in this group.

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the community but sorry to hear about your husband.

It would be good for you to talk with others who are navigating the same practical and emotional challenges of supporting your husband so let’s see if there are any carers looking in.

You may also benefit from joining and posting in our general Carers only and Supporting someone with incurable cancer support groups where you will connect with others navigating the exact same support challenges.

Do remember that the Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you, TheHighlander, for your response.  I appreciate your words and suggestions for other groups.  Life continues, each day with challenges.  I am managing though often I am overwhelmed by the number of things that need to be done.  I have so much to say, to share, to release; however, finding the time and energy to do so is very difficult.

• I have been on my incurable blood cancer journey for well over 24 years now and at times not one day can be the same but connecting in with the support platforms I have highlighted will help you navigate this unwanted journey ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• I have been on my journey for over 24 years and have had some challenges but I am still here doing good.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• 24 years, that’s amazing amount of time in remission. 

Maria

• Hi Highlander,  

Thank you for your reply.  24 years and going … indeed that is a long time with some dreadful challenges hanging over you.  As you say below, you are still here doing.  I am not struggling with the disease and pains and worries.  My husband is.  Every day continues to present difficult challenges for me.  I find myself crying more and more these days.  I don‘t have any friends or family anywhere nearby (nobody in UK).  My husband is my life and focus.  When he has difficult moments with health, it is up to me to deal with it.  Again, I can‘t help but feel overwhelmed by these challenges at times, yet I willingly and lovingly embrace them and do what I must to get us through.  There have been times doctors wanted him to go to hospital; he, however, absolutely refuses to go to hospital.

• Hi Maria  I have only been in remission for about 8 years, the longest remission over my first 16 years was about 9 months…..  that’s what comes with a rare type of NHL.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Hi  I will always say that the journey can be as hard for everyone looking on as their loved one is going through treatment.

Do follow up on the support platforms I have highlighted as you can connect up with other carers who understand the challenges.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• I understand, but you’re still here breathing. 

I’ve just finished my second round of chemo , playing the waiting game on my blood to rise. Then I’m home for a while, before waiting on SCT date. It sounds more horrific than the chemo to me. 

Maria