Travel insurance

• 4 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hi everyone, I'm new on here so please bare with me lol.

First happy new year and I hope everyone is okay

My mum was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukaemia around 4 months ago and is currently receiving chemo. 

My mum wants to travel to barbados for a week to see family, I will travel with her. But does anyone know a travel insurance company that I can insure her with thats not extortionate and somewhat affordable please?

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm not a member of this group but your subject title caught my eye.

Unfortunately, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis so can I recommend that you join us over in the travel insurance group where you'll find recommendations from others who have been successful. Once you've joined look for the thread called 'recommended travel insurance' as this is where the majority of recommendations are.

Most people say that it's best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also, sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

I hope this helps and that your mum's holiday to Barbados can go ahead

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you so much for your reply. I will also join that group now, and hopefully I'll get some ideas from there. Thanks again

• Hi Steve 70

I'm not sure if my experience with travel insurance, when diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia will be helpful but I thought I would share it just in case.

I was diagnosed in February 2019 and subsequently had a bone marrow transplant in September 2019 and still going strong.

I paid £500 for annual travel insurance in 2022 and £600 with Staysure in 2023. I made lots of phone calls and these were the best prices I could get for annual insurance.

I was honest with my answers to their questions as I didn't  want to risk anything happening when I was abroad not being covered.

I discovered that 5 years in remission seems to be a key milestone for the price reducing but with inflation I'm not sure I'll see a reduction this year.

SVR 

• Thanks SVR for your help, I'm looking for the 1 trip so I hope it will be cheaper. The only thing is because her diagnosis is so new this may rise the price sufficiently.  Staysure has been mentioned on here previously so will give them a try. Hope you are ok. 

Steve