In Remission from AML

• 1 reply
  • 20 subscribers

Hello , I am new here and I just thought I would join the discussion to let newly diagnosed people know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

I was diagnosed in 2020 ,just at the beginning of lockdown. After intense chemotherapy I chose to go for a bone marrow transplant. 
it was very difficult, a long journey but today I feel good again . 
There is always a chance that the AML could come back again but I have met other patients who had their transplants 7 and 12 yrs ago and still are doing well. 
keep strong everyone Pray tone1

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us but great to hear that you are in remission.

I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups. I don’t have Acute Myeloid Leukaemia (AML) but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of NHL reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the journey rather well……. especially as I have also had 2 Allo (Donor) Stem Cell Transplants (Bone Marrow Transplants) the first in June 2014 and the second in Oct 2015….. with remission reached in Sep 2015.

The longer you go post SCT being in remission the more chance that your remission is going to be long lasting.

In June 2018 I was Discharged from seeing my SCT and Heamatology Consultants and only have full bloods done at my GP surgery once a year and a quick phone call with the SCT Late Effects Nurse.

I have had some post SCT medical left over issues but on the whole I am doing great (see my story below)

We do actually have a dedicated Stem cell transplant support group and you may find this ongoing tread Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide where we have tried to collect our post treatment experiences.

You may also want to check to see if you have a Maggie's Centre in your area as these folks are amazing and most centres do run monthly Heamatology Support Groups most are online at the moment….. the one I attend does have a person with AML in it so worth checking.

Always around to help more or just to chat

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge