Dad diagnosed with AML

• 5 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi all my dad has been in hospital 3 wks severe pneumonia and very anaemia , blood test discovered blasts in his blood/cells , we met onchologist today who discussed diagnosis and said chemo would not be an option as his body wouldn’t manage and said he has less then a year she’ said we are looking at months

i am in complete shock please somebody tell me how many months do you think she said plan is to continue blood transfusion and medication to prevent infections ? 

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community but so sorry to hear about your dad’s diagnosis. A cancer diagnosis like this in the family can be such a challenging and stressful time but getting support from others who are dealing with the ‘exact same' support challenges can help a lot.

I am not sure if we have any group members in this exact position at the moment but you may want to look at our general Carers only and Supporting someone with incurable cancer support groups where you will connect with others navigating the exact same practical and emotional challenges of supporting your dad during this very hard time.

Our Support Line teams are available 7 days a week, 8am-8pm on freephone 0808 808 00 00email or live webchat where you will find one of team there to help you out.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

(;hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi, I’m so sorry to hear you are going through this. I have just lost my dad who was in the exact same position. My husband and I cared for him at home. He was diagnosed on 6 th June and died 6th August, however it was only the last few weeks he went down rapidly, he stopped eating completely and stayed in bed, bruises were appearing all over his body, he became incontinent and struggled to speak, he was skin and bone he was on blood transfusions every 4 days with platelets but this eventually ceased to do anything. It all happened in 8 weeks and was heartbreaking. 

• Hi  and welcome to the Community but I am so sorry to hear about your dad, my sincere condolences.

I know from experience that there is so much to do and to go through but there is quite a lot of information in this link What to do after someone dies.

We do have a dedicated  Bereaved family and friends support group where you can connect with others who have navigated the same journey.

The Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00 or via Webchat and Email too. This service provides practical information, emotional support, financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Patch77, similar story my mum was diagnosed with AML end of May, terminal she's 80 years old, 3 round of chemo later, she has had a dreadful time in and out of hospitals with infection after infection, which has resulted in her being very poorly - I would have to question if we may the right decision going for the chemo - so confused / frustrated and like yourself would like to know the outcome but find onchologist and doctors very vague in information.

• Hi Patch77. I recognise this is an older post but I've just joined and can relate to it. I hope and pray that your Dad is still going strong, sending love if I'm too late. 

My Dad was diagnosed with AML 18 months ago (aged 59) he's been through many months of treatment including a stem cell transplant last October which we believed was curative. Unfortunately he's had a few hospital admissions since with infections and earlier this month we learnt the Leukaemia has returned and there are no further viable treatment options as he's too weak. Like you, we've been told months. 

I hope you've found some support through this community and fingers crossed it'll work for me too Blush