Apml developed

• 1 reply
  • 22 subscribers

Hi my name is Wil.  I had APML and was treated with and autologous stem cell transplant.  The leukaemia went away and have been like that for 3 years.  The past 12 months my platelet count has been dropping.  Saw my doc yesterday who told me that while my bone marrow currently shows no signs of leukaemia we are waiting for it to appear when I will have to have full bony radio therapy again and a stem cell transplant from someone else.  This is a complete shock my head is properly in the shed.

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us. I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups.

I don’t have Acute Myeloid Leukaemia (AML) but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of NHL reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the journey rather well……. especially as I have had 2 Allo (donor) Stem Cell Transplants (June 2014 then in Oct 2015)

We actually have a dedicated Stem cell transplant support group where you will connect with others who have navigated the Allo SCT journey with a few from an AML back ground.

Allo SCT can be more demanding but the results tend to be longer lasting.

I will look out for you in the SCT group.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge