New to this group

• 1 reply
  • 21 subscribers

Hello Everyone,

I was diagnosed with AML 4th Feb 2022 I have had 3 chemo treatments in 2022 which basically reduced my white blood cell count but did not put me in remission.  I had 3 months at home after these treatments and it was decided to put me on Azarcitidine which I took for only one time (14 days) during November & December 2022.  My marrow levels in January indicated I needed more chemo which was administered from Feb & March 2023 this was the FLA-IDA  I am still in hospital, (week 11) waiting on my Neutrophils to improve. 

My treatment plan is to have SCT but I have one question - what criteria determines if you require to have full body irradiation prior to stem cell transplant, and what dosage is normal?

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us. I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups.

I don’t have Acute Myeloid Leukaemia (AML) but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the journey rather well……. and more so as I have had 2 Allo (donor) Stem Cell Transplants (SCT).

I had Total Lymphoid Irradiation (TLI) as part of the conditioning to take my immune system down before I got my brothers Stem Cells.

My understanding is that TLI is slightly different from TBI so can’t say anything about the process or dosage, although I had 10 full body zaps along with a week of IV anti-thymocyte globulin.

There are many different types of Conditioning and each is specifically selected to suit everyone’s situation. My first Allo SCT did not work so had a completely different conditioning for my second Allo SCT.

We actually have a dedicated Stem cell transplant support group where people from all the different blood cancers support each other through the SCT process. Do join the group, have a look at the various posts and you can put up your own post to introduce yourself.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge