The rollercoaster

• 2 replies
  • 23 subscribers

.My wife (55) was diagnosed by chance, a cruel chance, with AML 3 weeks ago. She was sent  to A&E with a suspected DVTh having experienced pains in her left thigh. Long story short after a night in the casualty area, my wife was told by a haematology consultant in the middle of a crowd, a casualty that she had leukaemia and was transferred to our local hospital in Lincoln. She is now in the third week of her chemo. Haven’t had the one week or Ribena and then another chemo drug via pick line and is now on a final chemo drug to tackle fit three which is but in tablet form we are both finding this very difficult to come to terms with. It all just seems to be a rollercoaster, not only of emotions, but of side-effects with the treatment and a number of blood transfusions and platelet transfusions already. to be open each time I go and see her and leave. I did wonder if that will be the last time. Not that we’ve been told that she is in any imminent danger but it’s just seen the rapid decline over three weeks.. i’ll be interested to hear from any group member of their initial experiences of AML, and especially from those who are coming towards the end of the treatment.

• Hi   and welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us and to hear about your wife’s diagnosis. I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups.

I don’t have Acute Myeloid Leukaemia (AML) but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of NHL reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the rollercoaster journey rather well.

Let’s look for group members to pick up on your post and get back to you. You can also click on the main ‘AML Group’ title and this will bring up all the group posts. Have a look at the posts and as always you can hit reply to any post and connect in with the wider group conversations.

It’s a challenging time for you so you may want to use the Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00 or via Webchat and Email too. This service provide cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear. We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

For good information do check out Leukaemia Care UK who produce very good information and run various support platforms including their Buddy Scheme, they also have a Support Line on 08088 010 444

You may also want to check to see if you have a Maggie's Centre in your area as these folks are amazing and most centres do run monthly Heamatology Support Groups most are online at the moment….. the one I attend does have a person with AML in it so worth checking.

Always around to help more or just to chat

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• I am also Female and was diagnosed with AML 18 Months ago, My chemo was Cytaribine and Venetoclax, and I have to say the first few weeks of chemo and after diagnosis were the worst, also having blood transfusions and platelets, plus the meds for sickness, tummy upsets etc, I felt and looked really ill, however once the side effects from chemo were dealt with and the bloods started "normaliising" which does take sometimes more time than we imagined, things started to even out, treatment for this condition is a Marathon not a sprint , and it did take time to feel anywhere near normal but hopefully your wife will get there, I was on my chemo for 15 months, then in Jan had one round of intensive chemo which put me into remission , Im now waiting on a call from the Hospital thats treating me to be admitted for 2 nd round of intensive, and was told if next bone marrow comes back showing no mutation , I will be discharged with one tablet a day to take, and bone marrow biopsies and follow up appointments every 3 months.Its early days for your wife this disease will teach us patience, but it can be done, even though some days it doesnt feel like it, Wishing you and your wife well, Teresa