AML husband, i am struggling

• 3 replies
  • 22 subscribers

First of all hello and thank you for reading, Cancer took my mum from 3 weeks diagnosis to passing, 5 years ago. My nana was less than 3 weeks diagnosis to passing 13 years ago. 

Surely not going to be hit a 3rd time..

My husband was diagnosed on 11th Jan 23 with AML, he is 67 we thought just a virus so did Dr until he took really ill and was admitted hospital, shocked was not the word, we were hopeful though  they can do a lot for Leukemia. Sadly day 3 of the non intense chemo he got infection, long story short ended up in Icu, we were told prepare for the worse, he came out of ICU and got to come home, he has been in and out hospital, he also suffers from Copd and his currently back in on oxygen. No sign of starting chemo  but I am seeing rapid decline, he is so sleepy and his platelet keep needing to be topped up.  

I asked outright what are we facing, of course nobody can say and hospital telling me we have to take one day at a time, initially I was told 3 to 6 months without treatment, we are on month 4 now! you can imagine where my head is at.  His breathing is shocking, he also has a clot on his lung. I am so scared that he is not going to be well enough for any other treatment other than transfusion.

Has anybody else experienced similar situation ?  I feel stuck whilst the worlds still spinning, I see people out living their life which I know they should but I feel my life has stopped and I am sat watching the man I love disappearing in front of me. I am so scared and although have friends and family I feel so alone. When this happened with my mum and nana I had my husband to come home to.i cannot explain how this feels other than utterly distraught. 

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the Community although I am sorry to read about your husband. I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups.

I don’t have Acute Myeloid Leukaemia (AML) but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of NHL reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the journey rather well.

On the whole AML is very treatable but as the treatments used are rather full on your husbands general health needs to be in a position that he can deal with the treatment. It's a vicious circle he is on as his AML will slowly develop but this affects his general health developing infections and other health challenges and these tend to hold up progression onto treating the main cause. 

Let’s look for group members who are dealing with or have dealt with these challenges to pick up on your post and get back to you. 

You may also benefit from joining our general Carers only support group where you will connect with others navigating the same support challenges supporting family and friends.

the Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00 or via Webchat and Email too. This service provide cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear. We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Always around to help more or just to chat

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi, I am so sorry to hear about your husband, nana and mum. 

I understand this was posted some time ago, how are things? 

my mum is 25 with copd. She was diagnosed in august. Non intensive chemo is not working after 2nd round. I feel how you feel. I really can’t answer your questions. But I lost my dad last week to cancer, we have not even had his funeral and my mums treatment has stopped. 

One thing the Haemotology nurses said to me was that they can’t give me a prognosis because it could be days, weeks, months or years. I know it’s no comfort. I also feel my world is crashing. Don’t give up hope