Recently lost my Gran with AML

• 1 reply
  • 20 subscribers

My gran had a very short diagnosis with acute myeloid leukaemia she  hadn’t been feeling well so we had a trip to docs and said she was ok, the following day she was so week and admitted to hospital to find her blood levels all over she had weekly transfusion then a bone marrow biopsy give us the results, she has a form of blood cancer for 3/4 years all under control with chemo tablets. Now she has gone am really struggling coming to terms with her loss x

• Hi , I am so so sorry to read about the loss of your dear gran - my since and heart felt condolences to you and the family.

I have a different type of blood cancer but at times blood cancers like AML can become uncontrollable and no amount of treatment can fix this.

This is such a hard time for you and in part I can appreciate the journey you are on as I lost my dear mum (not to cancer) 15 months ago. Due to the challenges of covid at the time and me being in the Extremely Clinical Vulnerable group I was not able to go into the hospital to be with her when she passed.

They say time is a healer and based on my last 15 months it is.... but takes time. One thing we did was make up a few photo albums from all the many photos my mum had collected over the years and gave the albums to all her grandchildren and great grandchildren so as in the year to come they could reflect and celebrate this amazing lady.

You may need some more specific support so could I suggest that you join our very supportive Bereaved family and friends group as you can connect with many others navigating this challenging time.

The Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00 or via Webchat and Email too. This service provides emotional support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. 

Talking to people face to face can help you navigate this time but during these strange covid times it’s not that available but do check to see if any Local Macmillan Support in your area has opened up. Do also check out for a local Maggie's Centre in your area as these folks are amazing.

This is some helpful Macmillan information on Coping with Bereavement.

Always around if you need to chat further.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge