AML phase 2 and now covid!

• 1 reply
  • 21 subscribers

Hi,

I’m Stuart, my dad was diagnosed with AML in October and was hit hard lol it’s intensive chemo. Lots of infections blood transfusions and platelets. He has had remission stage 1 and he has started phase 2 and contracted covid! 

he is back in hospital now but struggling to shake the covid/chest infection. 
we are all trying to keep positive but it is a worry that this is not going away easy.

As far as I’m aware chemo is still ongoing with All kinds of antibiotics. I suppose the chemo is needed to be ongoing but wondering if it should be paused to clear this covid issue? 

had anyone else had any chemo/covid battles? 

many thanks

• Hi Stuart  and welcome to this corner of the Community although always sorry to see folks joining us.

I am Mike and I help out around our various blood cancer groups. I am especially sad to read about your dad's AML diagnosis and on going issues.

I don’t have AML but was diagnosed in 1999 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of NHL Stage 4a so although my blood cancer ‘type’ is different I know this journey well.

I have talked with lots of others from various blood cancer backgrounds who have developed covid and came out the other end. But yes, some did have challenges.

Those who where currently in treatment, most had their treatment paused until they had made a measure of recovery...... but at times, for some it is a balance between controlling covid and not letting their blood cancer become uncontrollable and put it beyond the effectiveness of the drugs available.

It is a balancing act indeed - are you not able to talk directly with your dad's clinical team to be able to get a better understanding as to the reasons behind what is happening. 

Lets look for some of the group members to pick up on your post.

The Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00 or via Webchat and Email too. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear. You may also find our Ask an Expert section helpful but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Always around to help more or just to chat

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge