Mucus cough after stem cell topup

• 3 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hi all 

My dad is 65 was diagnosed with AML in 2019 

Chemo didn't work so he had a stem cell transplant with a 98% match that went OK he had a little graph v host but soon over come it , he then had this horrid mucus cough that went on for month , chest xray clear and it seemed to go on its own accord , fast forward his cells went down to 88% so he had a top up of stem cells 2weeks ago and now the horrid mucus cough is back , nothing seems to shift it or call it , has anyone else experienced this or away to calm it

Thank you so much for reading 

Any response would be muchly appreciated 

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the Community. I am Mike  and I am dropping in past from our dedicated Stem cell transplant group.

I have an incurable type of NHL but my two Allo SCTs put me into remission back in Sep 2016 for the first time in over 17 years so I know the journey well.

You don’t say when your dad had his SCT but the recovery can be far longer then we would like or even imagine and for me it took years…… mucous coughs, check infections were part of the many post SCT challenges I had (hit my name to see my story)

We have this ongoing thread  Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide where we have collected the stories of getting though this.

Do join the SCT group, have a look round and do put up a post and connect.

I will keep an eye open for you.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Thanks for your response,  he had his stem cells in February 2020 , and top up 2 weeks ago , did you find anything that would relive the coughing or mucus as he's getting very worked up over it all its worse when laying down he said he can feel it in his throat 

• So he is ‘only’ 16/17 months post SCT so early days. First are his team ok with how he is doing and the ongoing issue.

Not much helped apart from drinking my normal 2 litres of water every day, getting lots of fresh air and walking lots as this gets the lungs going, I have asbestosis so these problems have been part of life for a good number of years.

The other thing that helps is putting something like a couple of bricks under the top end of his bed as this raises his head as this helps me a lot.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge