Possible relapse

• 1 reply
  • 5 subscribers

My dad had a bone marrow transplant in October, all went well and he has been at home recovering. However his recent bloods have shown his platelets are zero, his neutrophils are 0.1 and he is anaemic again. He had a biopsy today but won’t get the results until next week. 
i’m very worried about what this could mean. 

• Hi  and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am sorry to Shear the concerns about your dad. I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups. 

I don’t have Acute Myeloid Leukaemia (AML) but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of Non Hodgkins Lymphoma eventually reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well…….. especially as I have had 2 Allo (donor) Stem Cell Transplants (SCT)…….. this is basically the precess that is used for most transplants but the old term Bone Marrow Transplant is still used by Consultants.

I am guessing that your dad has had an Allo (donor) SCT?

In the SCT process, especially an Allo SCT 2-3 months post transplant the new immune system is still in its infancy so low blood results can often happen.

My ffirst Allo SCT was in June 2014 and my results recovered very quickly but my graft had failed by Dec that year and I relapsed.

My second Allo SCT was in Oct 2015 and my counts did not fully recover for a good 14 months…… but I remain in remission to this day…… and even now my blood results often sit at the low r d of the acceptable range.

Lets look for his new immune system ti get into its stride and start to function as it should.

We do have a dedicated Stem Cell Transplant support group where for pjs from different blood cancer support each other in the SCT rollercoaster.

We are always here to chat ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge