Trial

• 1 reply
  • 6 subscribers

Hi my husband diagnosed 8th May with acute myeloid leukemia on 9th May had his first biopsy and started first round of chemo yesterday we have been told a gene has come back as tp53 so the chemo he on not working so they are hoping he will go on a trial in Oxford I'm scared I have no idea how to help him or how to help are 3 kids 29 25 and 23 and what to do about work I'm at a loss everyone says stay positive and I have been really hoped the chemo was working its not he is now on a holding medication till he on the trial how do I help 

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us. I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups.

I don’t have AML but I was diagnosed back in 1999 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of NHL Stage 4a so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different I know this journey rather well.

Someone being diagnosed with a blood cancer in the family can be such a shock and it does take time to get the best treatment in place and for the family to get their heads in order to be able to see the light in the dark forest…… but you will get there.

There have been a few group members said that they have had trials so let’s see them pick up on your post.

It’s a challenging time for you so you may want to use the Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00 or via Webchat and Email too.

This service provide cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear. We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

For good information do check out Leukaemia Care UK who produce very good information and various support platforms.

Always around to help more or just to chat

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge