Covid 19 Antibodies post Vaccinations

• 2 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi.  I've recently read a couple of articles in which Leukaemia sufferers are discovering that although they have had two vaccinations they haven't produced any antibodies?  Has anyone got any more information on this?  Should we be getting tested for antibodies?  I'm currently shielding and will continue to do so post July 19th - almost habit - diagnosed October 2019 with AML, came out of hospital into first lockdown.  I'm in good remission, regular bone marrow biopsies, very healthy.  My landlord is hounding us for access to do "routine inspection" and i'm really concerned about letting people  into my home - no one has been in since diagnosis.  Legally I think post 19th I will have very few protections?  If anyone has any suggestions, i'd be very grateful.  Hope you are all weathering the weird times we are living in and that your treatments and remissions are going well.  My positive is that at the age of 55, I now have super curly hair that I love! 

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the community. I am Mike  and I help out around our blood cancer groups and yes it’s an interesting subject Covid 19 Antibodies post Vaccinations.

A little about me for context. I have a different type of blood cancer diagnosed back in 1999 with a rather rare and difficult to treat Stage 4a Low Grade Cutaneous T-Cell (skin) Non Hodgkin’s.

After 14 years Dermatology treatments I had 6 cycles chemo (750hrs), 45 radiotherapy zaps and two Allo (donor) Stem Cell Transplants (June 2014 and October 2015) and was eventually told I was in remission in September 2016 for the first time in 17 years.

So as you imagine my immune system has taken a beating and is very much reduced. I asked my team about a test following my 2 jabs and they told me not to bother as there is not a clear test that covers all the eminently that make up our immunity to Covid and just to continue with what I have done over the past 5+ years post my second SCT.

I was shielding before the word shielding became a thing…. but we have not let this define our lives, we have had trusted family in the house as restrictions allowed, we have been out and about including eating out in ‘safe’ environments, we have had tradesmen in the house….. we just sit in the garden when they have been in.

Your landlord will have the legal right to do a visit but do talk with them about your concerns. Ask if they have had both jabs, they could also do a Covid test before and obviously they would have to ware a mask during the visit.

You could call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, support, welfare rights advice, financial guidance or just a listening ear.

This is a link to an interesting arrival from Blood an error UK 

https://bloodcancer.org.uk/news/vaccine-collaborative-announce-further-funding-for-vaccine-efficacy-research/

Always around to chat.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi, Did you find anymore information on this? I'm in a similar boat (in remission from AML and recovering from bone marrow transplant) and am wondering which vaccine to get and whether it will make a difference. Does "leukaemia sufferers" refer to people now in remission? 

D x