Newly diagnosed

• 5 replies
  • 8 subscribers

Hi Everyone

I have recently been diagnosed with ALL (within the last couple of weeks). I don't think I haveceven begun to process it myself as I have a family with my husband and two teenage boys, and been trying to sort stuff out and make sure they are all OK. I am wondering when it actually hits you that you are fighting this as so far I have been taking it day by day as everything has been happening so fast.

• Hi, i’m so sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with ALL. I was diagnosed with that in 2020 age 50. I was admitted to hospital within 5 days of diagnosis for a month’s  intense treatment to start with. My family were all really supportive. My children have all left home so it was just my husband and our dog. I had to show him how to use everything in the house whilst i was in hospital. I took everyday as it came and it hit me at random times, just when i thought about it. . There’s so much going on, treatment wise. Just take each treatment as another day, to get through that day. You will have off days but thats ok. Sleep all day if you need to but then when you feel more energetic you might want to do something. Stay positive. On my previous feeds i’ve just said trust in the doctors and tell them if you feel there are any changes as only you know if you feel different. I’ve been back at work since 2023. 

• Thankyou for that, I know what you mean I have had to talk my husband through things as I usually sort everything. That's all I am doing for now taking one day at a time and just thinking when I have had a lot of treatment that's one down. Thankyou for replying and I hope your health is as good as it can be.

• Hi again  and well done navigating across to this corner of the Community.

As I said in your other post I don’t have Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia (ALL) but  I have been on my NHL journey for over 25 years so I do appreciate the journey rather well........ and as some encouragement I am 8.5 years out from my last treatment, turned 68 last Nov and getting on with living and loving life.

Good to see that  has picked up on your post.

It’s a challenging time for you so you may want to use the Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00 or via Webchat and Email too. This service provide cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

For good information do check out Leukaemia Care UK who produce very good information and run various support platforms including their Buddy Scheme, they also have a Support Line on 08088 010 444

You may also want to check to see if you have a Maggie's Centre in your area as these folks are amazing and most centres do run monthly Heamatology Support Groups most are online at the moment….. the one I attend does have a person with ALL in it so worth checking.

Always around to help more or just to chat

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thats exactly what i thought- each treatment is one day forward to recovery. X

• Thanks for that Mike I will check them all out.