Toddler niece just diagnosed

• 1 reply
  • 8 subscribers

Hello everyone, hope you can help me…

We are all devastated that our little niece has to go through so much…

My brother doesn’t want to talk and is not texting me much and sister in law nothing at all. I am not sure what to do. I don’t want to burden them but I care about them all and I really would like to know more and how I can help, I offered to stay with my brother and other niece while mum and child are in hospital but they keep pushing me away… she had her first chemio three days ago and is unwell. That is all I know…
I have texted about sending Love from me and my family and people that know them… but since they don’t reply or react to them I am starting to think I am annoying them so whatever I do seems to be wrong. The best thing seems to be to do nothing, say nothing. But I can’t just give up on them! Please help me be there for them the way they need me to be.

• HI   and welcome to this corner of the Community although I am so sorry to hear about your little niece's ALL diagnosis. I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups.

I don’t have Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia (ALL) but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of NHL reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the journey rather well...... although not when supporting a little one or their family.

I can only imagine how hard a time this is for your brother and sister in law. Periodically reminding them that you and the family are there for them if they need any help........ and sending your love may be all that is needed at the moment. 

Let’s look for group members who have any experience to get back to you.

It’s a challenging time for you so you may want to use the Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provide cancer information, practical information, emotional support or just a listening ear.

For good information do check out Leukaemia Care UK who produce very good information and a Support Line on 08088 010 444

You may also want to check to see if you have a Maggie's Centre in your area as these folks are amazing and do have support groups for family members whose children and family are going through treatment and indeed for children.

Always around to help more or just to chat ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge