Travel insurance problem

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 19 subscribers

Hi there, This is great - I'm new to this and emailing about my very active, self contained and relatively healthy 93 yr old dad. He was diagnosed with Gastric Cancer in Dec and because of his age they are not recommending treatment. He not going to die of the cancer anytime soon (at least not within the usual parameters the insurers look at). We're going to take him to his home country of Jamaica for 2wks and have not yet found anyone prepared to offer travel insurance. Its crazy. We have a letter from the consultant to say he's fit for travel. He also has a bit of high blood pressure which is stable  and a PE which is being treated with medication. Can anyone suggest anyone we can approach?

Thanks in advance

Desperate Dee

• Hi and welcome to the online community

That sounds like a great trip you're hoping to take your dad on. Unfortunately, as you have found, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have had a cancer diagnosis.

I don't know whether you've had a chance to look through the member's stories thread yet as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there.

It is best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as sometimes they can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Make sure you have all the information to hand about your dad's diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of things an insurance provider might want to know when you're applying for insurance. 

Please pop back and let me know how you get on

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"