Travel insurance

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 19 subscribers

Hi i am new to this site so hope that's ok   my husband had cancer 7 years ago and was told with radiotherapy/ chemo he would be well again after 7 weeks intensive  we were happy enough with that thinking he was going to recover so as I lift to his spirits I booked a holiday for 8 weeks later after treatment to help him recover he was type 1 diabetics also so I tried to get insurance for him after treatment for holiday ( even McMillan) give me insurers names to try as I was getting nowhere fast NO travel insurers would touch him as they told me they can't insure anyone who has undergone radio/ chemo together  I then found 1 company that was willing to insure him even after 8 weeks of recovery but they were looking £3000 to cover him for 1 week!!!!!! I could only laugh down the phone when lady quoted me I said "I only want a holiday not to buy the place" I just politely declined staying that I could get 2 weeks in dominician republic (allincusive ) for 2 people for less than that   so people please be aware travel insurance for cancer people can be very very costly my husband went in on a Monday for his 7 week treatment and was dead on the Sat so they must know it is so serious so just be careful you lot  hope everyone on this post gets well soon and good luck for treatment cx

• Hi  and welcome to the online community

Firstly can I offer my condolences on the death of your husband. 

Thank you very much for your warning of high travel insurance costs. It's certainly best to shop around before booking a holiday so you know if you can get insurance and how much it might be. 

Unfortunately it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have had a cancer diagnosis. Fortunately we have a member's stories thread full of recommendations from other community members who have got reasonably priced travel insurance. Clicking on the link will take you directly to it if you want to see which companies are recommended.

Wishing you all the best 

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"