Diagnosis Less Than 8 weeks ago - who will insure us?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hi

My 37yo wife was diagnosed with Bowel, Liver, Stomach and Ovarian cancer at the start of Sept.  We already had a trip booked to Disney Paris in November for us and our 4yo daughter.

My wife has been told she has 12 months, poss 3 or 5 if we are lucky and she responds well to treatment.  She came home today after a week in hospital and her first chemo on Tuesday.

This has all been a complete surprise and a huge shock to us, our family and friends.

We really need to make this Disney trip happen and the Oncologists etc are behind us.  I enjoy driving and have been to Disney lots before so we are driving and taking the ferry.  We are booked with Magic Breaks who have been great so far.

I have a list of insurers from MM and after a quick look on here I decided to ring Boots first as there were lots of positive reviews.  The lady I spoke to was great but as our diagnosis is less than 8 weeks ago, they can't quote.  She did also suggest that we shouldnt wait until 8 weeks have passed before we get a quote.  She also suggested I call BIB(?) something to get details of companies who will quote.  I havent done that yet.... another call another q etc etc.

Does anyone have any experience of getting insurance at this stage?

Thank you in advance.

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear of your wife's recent diagnosis and I can imagine what a tremendous shock this must have been for you both and why this holiday with your little girl is so important.

Unfortunately, as you have found, it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when you have a cancer diagnosis. I presume that you hadn't taken out insurance at the time of booking your trip or that your provider has since withdrawn cover on being advised of your wife's diagnosis.

I don't know whether you've looked through the Recommended Travel Insurance thread yet as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. Clicking on the link I've created will take you directly to it if you haven't seen it. 

It is best to phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes. Make sure you have all the information to hand about your wife's diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of common questions that insurers might ask when you're applying for insurance.

Some insurers will ask for a letter from your wife's doctor to prove that they have given her permission to travel. 

I think the person you spoke to at Boots was referring to the British Insurance Brokers Association (BIBA) .

I do hope that you can get travel insurance and that you all have a lovely holiday.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

Firstly, sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis and glad that you have a trip planned. I don't have the experience of a recent diagnosis, but know that the company Insurancewith doesn't have this as its criteria  I believe. I have breast cancer with Mets to my liver, spine, ribs, skull, femur, pelvis  hip  and axial (outer) skeleton and have been given 2 years, if the meds do their job, although I plan to try and beat those odds :). I have always liked a challenge!! I am one year in and have booked a holiday to the states for 5 weeks, starting in November,  so now counting the days. The quotes I was getting were ridiculous with some of the other insurance companies.quoting up to £7000+, without the peace of mind even that I was covered for everything.  Boots however refused to insure me. Anyway, I have got my quote from insurancewith which came in at £1019 yesterday. This was for both my husband (No pre'existing medical conditions). I went for platinum cover which cost an additional  £194 which would have made it around £800, I opted for platinum cover as the excesses were zero for most things, would cover medical expenses up to 10 million and cover repatriation, as well as cancelled trips ect.. I thought the price was pretty reasonable for a 5 week holiday in the states  I would give them a try. Be sure to select that you are happy to speak to the underwriting team if need be. I am pretty sure that you could get a quote online for any holiday, as long as it is less than 30 days in duration and within 60 days of when your holiday is due to start. I had a lot of underwiter questions due to the fact my holiday was over 30 days. Good luck and hope you get this sorted out. Have a great holiday. X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Swiles

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me, sorry to read of your situation.

I have spoken to insurancewith, they are the same company that bootstravelinsurance directs to as I had called them first.  They will not quote for us until 8 weeks have passed since our first diagnosis.

We want to get cover as soon as possible for peace of mind, especially around cancellation cover.  

I did have quite a positive conversation with insurecancer who suggested they would probably quote but came back a day or two later and said the premium was too high although they wouldnt do me the favour of telling me what it was!

I spoke with jdtravelinsurance and they are prepared to cover us for just under £1000 for 5 days in France!!  

Interesting that one of the companies that asked the least questions, justtravelcover, wanted the most money!  (Gold cover £5.3k, Silver £3.8K or Bronze £2.7k!!)

Good luck with your trip.  An ex-work colleague went to the US 3 times with her husband who was diagnosed with cancer and didn't get extra cover once.  Even the nurse at my wifes last chemo session said not to bother!!  We are travelling 3 weeks after Brexit goes live so I'm not sure that would be a great idea!

I look forward to hearing about your trip. 

Ian