Holiday insurance

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Can anyone recommend a reasonable company for travel insurance for the USA?  Also if a single trip more cost effective than a yearly policy?

• Hi and a warm welcome to the online community

I presume that you have either had cancer or are living with it at the moment and that you've found it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when you have a cancer diagnosis. 

I don't know whether you've looked through the Recommended Travel Insurance thread yet as it's where we try to keep recommendations from other forum members who have obtained travel insurance. Clicking on the link I've created will take you directly to it if you haven't seen it. 

It is best to phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes. Make sure you have all the information to hand about your diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of common questions that insurers might ask when you're applying for insurance.

Some insurers will ask for a letter from your doctor to prove that they have given you permission to travel. In any case it's always best to make sure that you have checked with your doctor that it's okay to travel and that this has been recorded in your notes in case of a claim.

Single trip insurance will probably be cheaper than annual but if you intend to go away more than once then annual insurance might work out cheaper. However, depending on your diagnosis you might not be offered annual insurance.

I do hope that you can find some reasonably priced travel insurance

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thanks for your reply. I was diagnosed with breast cancer December 2018 and since had a lumpectomy and 3 lymph nodes removed for testing (which was clear), 6 sessions of chemotherapy and 20 sessions of radiotherapy. My husband and I are planning a trip to the States next August which will take us across America on our motorcycle.

I have been reading through some of the conversations and getting the names of difference companies to try for insurance.  i've only just started looking into travel insurance but have found other peoples' experiences most enlightening.  I will of course let you know how I get on with my search for insurance.

Many Thanks

• That sounds like a great holiday !

I do hope you're successful in your search for travel insurance and it would be great if you can report back with how you get on.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi ,

I found Travel Insurance with Sainsbury’s for a single trip for four of us for £54, which was for Europe, however it’s worth a look.

I was diagnosed last Oct, had a mastectomy and node clearance 3 weeks after mastectomy, 6 chemo treatments and 15 radiotherapy treatments.

If you answer questions honestly I don’t see a problem.

Hope you find something suitable x

• Hi

Thanks very much for the recommendation of Sainsburys for travel insurance. I'm pretty sure that they haven't been recommended before so I wondered if you'd also add this to the Recommended Travel Insurance thread please as that's where I'm trying to keep any new recommendations. Clicking on the link I've created will take you there.

x

Community Champion Badge