travel unsurance

• 2 replies
  • 20 subscribers

My husband was diagnosed with lung cancer last November and has since undergone  radical chemo and radiotherapy for six and a half weeks in April this year. He has just been told the good news that his treatment has worked, so he would like a holiday later this year or early 2020 . He also has other pre -existing conditions None of which affect his life to any extent He had a heart attack 23 years ago, he has mild copd , also had an early stage bladder cancer which was surgically removed and did not need further treatment, all of which have to be declared. He enjoys cruising but due to the fact that none of the companies we  have tried will insure him or want to charge astronomical prices it seems impossible. He is very well and it seems so unfair that after all he has been through this year that he cant enjoy what he really wants. Any help would be appreciated.

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I do agree that it seems unfair that our medical histories are taken into account when we are now well but, unfortunately, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have had a cancer diagnosis.

I don't know whether you've looked through the Recommended Travel Insurance thread yet as it's where we try to keep recommendations from other forum members who have obtained travel insurance. Clicking on the link I've created will take you directly to it if you haven't seen it. 

It is best to phone the travel companies rather than do online quotes. Make sure you have all the information to hand about your diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of common questions that insurers might ask when you're applying for insurance.

Some insurers will ask for a letter from your husband's doctor to prove that they have given him permission to travel. In any case it's always best to make sure that the doctor says that it's okay to travel and that this has been recorded in your husband's notes in case of a claim.

I do hope that you can get insurance and that you have a lovely holiday.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Brody 19

I see that superquick superstar Latchbrook has already pointed you in the direction of the insurers recommended by group members but I'll just add that I have this week renewed my annual policy.

Its just not worth not declaring anything relevant as if you are unfortunate enough to need to make a claim they can and often will use anything that you have omitted to avoid paying out.

I received a very reasonable quote from GoodToGo. When the policy docs arrived I read them carefully and found they were underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities (TIF) who have been getting some very bad press for not paying out when claims are made (google/read the reviews on Tripadvisor). I hasten to add that I have no personal experience of them but thought I'd see if I could find another policy and I did, so have cancelled under the 14 day cooling off period.

This is with StaySure. They are more expensive but its peace of mind that you need for an emergency so I'm prepared to pay more if that's what it takes.

I only want cover for Europe and found that there are 2 levels, one excludes Spain, Greece, Malta and Cyprus the other covers all of Europe. The difference in the quotes was over £100. Apparently its Spain that really bumps up premiums as medical costs are so high there. 

Cruising is also considered 'high risk' by many companies so this will also inflate a premium. River cruising is high for some but not others, so it pays to ask.

Hopefully knowing these snippits might help you find a reasonable priced policy. 

Regards

T