Annual Travel Cover

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 19 subscribers

Hi - does anyone know if you can get annual travel cover once you have been diagnosed with cancer. I had stage 3 Bowel cancer diagnosed back in Dec 2013. Treatment was radio / chemo then bowel surgery. Then spread to Liver, surgery, then 8 months chemo. Since then it has been back in my lungs on 5 occasions (4 surgeries later and one sabre knife radio and I am hopefully now done). I had my last surgery earlier this month.

We are planning a family holiday to Florida in August (2 weeks) and then skiing in Feb next year. I was looking to see if I could get annual cover for myself (my wife and kids are on a separate policy).

My oncologist suggested that maybe I tell the insurer that I am prepared to increase my excess to reduce the premium. However when I have asked those companies I have called they all say no. Also none of them have offered annual cover. The cheapest I got was £1.1k for the Florida trip alone.

Thanks alot

• Hi and a warm welcome to the online community

Unfortunately, as you've discovered, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have had a cancer diagnosis.

Have you had chance to look through the Recommended Travel Insurance thread yet as it's where we try to keep recommendations from other forum members who have obtained travel insurance? If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you to it and you might find some companies that you haven't tried yet.

It is best to phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes as it's easier to explain to someone rather than do it online. I don't think that it's necessarily out of the question to get annual insurance but each company will assess how much of a risk they think you are which will result in you being offered annual or single trip quotes.

I do hope that you can get a more reasonable quote than you have already and that you enjoy your holidays.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"