Medical insurance for the USA existing conditions

• 10 replies
  • 20 subscribers
Hi, every one .... new to this forum
I have done some forum searching but as of yet not found the answers to my questions .......
OK brief history we are due to travel end of this month to Seattle so that my Son in Law and daughter can do a trip of a like time .... motorbike ride from Rotterdam to the arctic circle in Norway ....
my wife and I both have medical pre existing conditions some of the more normal things like high blood pressure , A Fib .... I have prostate cancer ... early stage low risk 'watch and wait' treatment.
My wife has not long since had a cancerous kidney removed , but the real problem seams to be that she is on a list (prob 6 months) for a probable gallbladder  removal due to gallstones.
most UK quotes have come in at £5,000+ we have had one for £3500 ....
So first question has any one had any dealings with buying medical short (3-6 months) term direct from the USA?
we have seen a few quotes for $200 - 800 
if we go with that we would look to take a UK based insurance out for all the more normal  travel insurance things. and would need to find a company that would exclude all the medical stuff   ...
any suggestions / help ?
Thanks ralphy
  • Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

Unfortunately, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have pre-existing medical conditions.

Have you had a look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet as you'll find lots of suggestions for travel insurance there?

Anne 

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I am travelling to Canada then a couple of weeks later USA and can't find anyone to insure me, or to provide an insurance policy that excludes medical but covers other aspects of travel insurance so if you get anywhere please let me know!!!

Good Luck!

• I am at a total loss....I cannot find anyone to insure me yet others on this forum seem to have found providers!!!   I am waiting for a scan to show if stereotactic radiotherapy has sorted out small secondary tumours and I also have (treated) AF.

• Hi  

Unfortunately, it can be a lot harder to find travel insurance when a cancer diagnosis is involved and I wondered if you'd had the chance to work your way through all the recommendations in the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet? If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. 

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I used  VUMI TRAVEL VIP 

for a policy for  pr-existing conditions excluded .....

then opted for US medical insurance 

visitorscoverage policy

I have no idea if or how it will help with Canada and the US 

I have no intention to try a claim to see how good they are ;-)  

The first company I went through a broker ..... not sure about forum rules for links like that ..... 

If I can help in any other way then please ask

Ralph

• Hi Ralph/ 

I'm glad that you've managed to find the insurance cover that you want and I hope you have a lovely time away.

It's fine to provide links to insurance companies if you've used them yourself. What's not allowed is recommending/providing links to companies that you've not personally purchased a policy from.

Unfortunately, your link above is to the company's email address. Could you possibly alter it to their website please.

Community Champion Badge

• thanks for that ..... now corrected

• Thank you Cloudybeer, could you give me the contact details for the broker you used?

•  Josh at Pacific Prime UK: https://www.pacificprime.co.uk/ 

he was very helpful, by all means mention me Ralph & Di  

• Really helpful thank you.   I am finding constantly having to go through the details of my cancer with insurance companies very hard as its a constant reminder of the impact it is having.